X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I could use about 8" with a 12" radius if u r takin orders

Comment

As a suggestion, make some with hard wood. Something like a 2x4 is pretty soft and can wear or warp easily. I have wood ones around that have gotten dented over the years and dont do as good of job. I do plan on getting some alluminum ones one of these days.

Comment

8/4 maple would be a good choice. Rip it to 3.5" & route away.
        Irresponsible is what boring people call fun people

Comment

Sorry guys I
          The Blues You Play Will Chase Your Blues Away

Comment

Wow, props to you on making your own jig! That's right, I said jig. **************** the PC **************** and learn to use Google to find definitions. Just because some twit can't handle words over four characters long shortens a slur term from seven letters to three, it doesn't mean the word is in common use.

I was all hyped about sending some business your way too, but I hear you on not having any denser wood lying around. I have radius gauges but unfortunately no room to set up my router for doing things like this.

For those too lazy or can't figure how to use Google:

Comment

I have decided to go with the 2X4 block. Since I am not in a production environment, 2X4 will work for me. I plan to coat the block with epoxy and am going to attach some scrap square tube to the top for added rigidity.

jig

Comment

Nice jig! I made something similar and there is an Ebayer selling 7" maple blocks for $15.50 delivered in 7.25" - 9" - 10" - 12"- 14" - 16" and 20" radii. I have a call into him to make me a compound radius block!

(kidding!)

IME once you rout them they tend to wander from "flat" to "bowed" unless they are good hardwood and/or backed by to a stout piece of steel of aluminum. I use double stick carpet tape and good silicon carbide wet/dry paper.

Oh LMII has very nice hardwood blocks, their SRPL1620 is a 12" x +3" radius block with a 16

Comment

I happen to live by a hardwood dimensional mill so, it is nice to find good finds. I am getting a decent price on some North American White Maple Hardwood Boards. 2 - 10'X3" pieces of 8/4 planed and ripped perfect true. So since i only like a couple of hours from Royce I am offering him one of the 10' pieces for his own set if he would route me out one. Plus a case of beer and his charge
                    -Chris

Guitars:
                    -Crestwood mid 70's Les Paul Custom
                    -Ibanez GRX 20 Custom Project
                    -First Act 'Hot Rod' Custom (single Humbucker, gibson looking body)
                    -Ibanez PF5CE Acoutic/Electric
                    -Ibanez SGT122-12
                    -Austin MusicMan Copy Project
                    -Unknown Strat Copy Project
                    -Ashland Tele Copy
                    -Samick Classical Nylon String

Amp:
                    -Line6 Spider II 30w
                    -Epiphone Valve Junior Head
                    -Crate V33h

Comment

Three I wants in 2 days

Comment

bump for a good thread..
                        2x4 Telecaster build - | - killer HC search

Comment

I bought an 18 inch long 20 inch radius block from Royce a while back. I used it as is to sand down 2 maple fretless bass fingerboards with good results.

Great blocks at a great price.

Comment

• SunDogAZ
                            SunDogAZ commented
                            Editing a comment

Thx for this posting!  I saw it a couple weeks ago and made my own jig similar to yours these past couple of weekends.  I got a piece of red oak 8/4, 18" long, and about 8" wide.  I made 4 sanding blocks in 7 1/4", 9.5", 10", and 12" radii.  Here are some pics:

Working...
                        X