Scalloping a maple fretboard Project

shredderthos

• Members

Here are some pictures on my recent scalloping project. My starting guitar is a Squier Deluxe Daphne Blue Strat. I tried playing it unscalloped, but since I have gotten used to a scalloped neck, I can't go back.

Here is the process in case anyone wants to give it a try.

• Members

Here is how its done, you carefully and slowly start filing. Check as you go, and switch spaces frequently so that you don't get tunnel vision.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]336932[/ATTACH]

And you keep going and filing.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]336931[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]336928[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]336929[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]336930[/ATTACH]

The plan is to rough it in with the files, using the best size file you have for the space you are working on.

I sometimes cover the frets with masking tape, but it tends to mess me up. Scratching the frets with the files should be avoided, but as long as you don't create any gouges, you will be okay.

• Members

I spread it out over two weeks averaging a half hour a day - so I estimate 7 hours start to finish. And yes, it feels like forever. But a half hour a day for two weeks isn't bad. And, I am sorry, but a scalloped neck is awesome!!!!!

As for power tools, I have tried a Dremel and a router, and I couldn't control them and ended up messing the neck up on other guitars.

• Members

That's actually not that bad, 7 hrs. I spent about 3-4 hrs yesterday just rewiring a guitar from a 5 way switch to individual switches. And I'll probably have to spend another half hour to an hour fine tuning because stray wires keep touching other contacts and ruining the circuit. Stupid tiny toggles! Like building a ship in a bottle, it is.

Do you have to really focus on the scalloping so you get it even or can you like watch a movie and check you hands every few minutes to make sure they're not up to no good?

• Members

I can listen to tv whilst doing it, but no, you can't not look. And it should be know that my scallops are not perfectly even. Here are some things I am going to try next time:

1. I will file a rough shape - like I did, but then I will spend more time with some coarse sand paper. like 120. Plus I will try to make some implements to make the sanding go easy.

2. There has to be a way to create some fret covers that are close fitting, easy to reposition, and protect the frets from minor mishaps. I am going to investigate this further.

3. For this guitar I sanded with 220 then 500. I will stop at 220 next time.

• 1 year later...
  • 8 months later...

Archived