Question about Sand & Sealer.

The Rover

• Members

OK here's the deal. . I'm painting a fresh Warmoth Tele body (alder) using Dupli-color acrylic lacquer. I've heard differing opinions on whether or not I need to use S&S with a solid color. (I'm using the Duplicolor Filler primer and solid Flash Red.)

I'm going to go ahead and seal it but Duplicolor obviously doesn't make S&S to go with their paint so. . what should I use for a sealer? Can you spray acylic lacquer over nitro lacquer? Any particular brand I should look for? I need to make sure it's compatible with acrylic lacquer I'm spraying over it.

Thanks! :smiley-bounce012:

• Members

The Rover wrote:

I'm going to go ahead and seal it but Duplicolor obviously doesn't make S&S to go with their paint so. . what should I use for a sealer? Can you spray acylic lacquer over nitro lacquer? Any particular brand I should look for? I need to make sure it's compatible with acrylic lacquer I'm spraying over it.

Thanks!
:smiley-bounce012:

I wouldn't use anything other than epoxy (to penetrate into the wood and seal, with only a thin coat, not to build up, like a bar table top!!!).

See here.

• Members

Wow epoxy is expensive. . What if I don't use a sealer? Im using the Duplicolor scratch filler primer which seems to me basically does the job of a sealer. It fills light scratches and pores and creates a level surface for the color coats. It's not like regular primer, it's got a high solids content for filling uneven surfaces .. . like a sanding sealer.  Could I just use the primer as a sealer?

Archived