Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ok Phil What About This Mic

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Ok Phil What About This Mic

    I saw where someone else asked you about a mic, and made me think about one.

    What mic is this?

    James Shannon Bussey & The Drunk Thirsty Cowboys
    www.jamesshannonbussey.com
    www.facebook.com/BusseyCountry
    www.twitter.com/clhndluke

  • #2
    I honestly have no idea. I don't think I've ever seen that exact mic before. Sorry.
    **********

    "Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."

    - George Carlin

    "It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."

    - Sir George Martin, All You Need Is Ears

    "The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."

    - Bob Lefsetz, The Lefsetz Letter

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Phil O'Keefe View Post
      I honestly have no idea. I don't think I've ever seen that exact mic before. Sorry.
      It's highly possibe its a stage prop, I have never seen one but in this one video.
      James Shannon Bussey & The Drunk Thirsty Cowboys
      www.jamesshannonbussey.com
      www.facebook.com/BusseyCountry
      www.twitter.com/clhndluke

      Comment


      • #4
        This actually looks like an old ham radio/CB radio microphone. I remember these as a kid growing up in the 70s. The closest I could find was the AstAtic D-104 Microphone (http://www.prc68.com/I/D104.html). The picture looks like the back of this microphone. They originally had a round 3-prong connector. If you do a google image search for "amateur radio mics" you should find a bunch of similar styles (mostly on pintrest pages)

        Click image for larger version  Name:	D104-01s.jpg Views:	1 Size:	32.1 KB ID:	32134763
        Last edited by Mandolin Picker; 01-05-2018, 10:41 PM.
        The Mandolin Picker

        "Bless your hearts... and all your vital organs" - John Duffy

        "Got time to breath, got time for music!"- Briscoe Darling, Jr.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Mandolin Picker View Post
          This actually looks like an old ham radio/CB radio microphone. I remember these as a kid growing up in the 70s. The closest I could find was the AstAtic D-104 Microphone (http://www.prc68.com/I/D104.html). The picture looks like the back of this microphone. They originally had a round 3-prong connector. If you do a google image search for "amateur radio mics" you should find a bunch of similar styles (mostly on pintrest pages)

          Click image for larger version Name:	D104-01s.jpg Views:	1 Size:	32.1 KB ID:	32134763
          I'm pretty sure that's it.

          So basically I was right they were nothing more than a prop.

          Really not a mic for vocal "sound reinforcement".
          James Shannon Bussey & The Drunk Thirsty Cowboys
          www.jamesshannonbussey.com
          www.facebook.com/BusseyCountry
          www.twitter.com/clhndluke

          Comment


          • #6
            It does indeed look like an Astatic D-104, which is an old crystal Ham radio mic. Well done Mandolin Picker!

            FWIW, Astatic is now CAD (Conneaut Audio Devices) Audio.

            Is it a prop?

            Most likely, unless they're going for a lo-fi Ham radio type sound. Crystal mics are one step up from carbon mics on the general fidelity scale, and not something you see used very often in modern recording studios, outside of the use of crystals in piezoelectric guitar pickups and contact mics / triggers.

            Like the piezo crystals used in acoustic guitar pickups they have very high output impedance, and they are prone to handling noise too.
            **********

            "Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."

            - George Carlin

            "It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."

            - Sir George Martin, All You Need Is Ears

            "The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."

            - Bob Lefsetz, The Lefsetz Letter

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Phil O'Keefe View Post
              It does indeed look like an Astatic D-104, which is an old crystal Ham radio mic. Well done Mandolin Picker!

              FWIW, Astatic is now CAD (Conneaut Audio Devices) Audio.

              Is it a prop?

              Most likely, unless they're going for a lo-fi Ham radio type sound. Crystal mics are one step up from carbon mics on the general fidelity scale, and not something you see used very often in modern recording studios, outside of the use of crystals in piezoelectric guitar pickups and contact mics / triggers.

              Like the piezo crystals used in acoustic guitar pickups they have very high output impedance, and they are prone to handling noise too.
              Good to know. I have had one of these in my mic locker for 30 plus years. Mine is in great shape too. Changed out the original 2 conductor cable to and XLR cable years ago.

              Not a very hot mic, but I wouldn't expect a ribbon mic like that to be hot.

              Click image for larger version

Name:	image005_429dcb4b-abfb-4348-a480-c33950b76fc4.jpg?419891495170597856.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	105.4 KB
ID:	32136682
              _____________________________________
              Faith is taking the first step even when you don't see the whole staircase.

              Join Date: Aug 2001
              Location: N. Adams, MA USA
              Posts as of Jan 10th 2013: 82,617

              Comment


              • #8
                Thanks everyone for the input!!
                James Shannon Bussey & The Drunk Thirsty Cowboys
                www.jamesshannonbussey.com
                www.facebook.com/BusseyCountry
                www.twitter.com/clhndluke

                Comment

                Working...
                X