No announcement yet.

offending posts and comments,

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• offending posts and comments,

Last edited by daddymack; 09-11-2017, 05:59 PM.

If you see any, please flag them so a moderator can address them.

"Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."

- George Carlin

"It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."

- Sir George Martin, All You Need Is Ears

"The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."

- Bob Lefsetz, The Lefsetz Letter

Comment

Hello! I am a spammer from Bengladesh. I have hacked Craig Anderton's account. Hello Mr. Craig!

I have been told by my supervisor NOT to post any more spam regarding testosterone boosters or sex enhancers on Harmony Central. He said "Musicians are the most amazingly virile creatures ever to walk the planet, so we are wasting our time trying to convince them to buy our products. Please find forums that cater to attorneys and tax auditors."

Please let me know if you like sports maybe? Then I can keep posting spam for live streaming of sporting events.

Thank you very much and have a nice day!
      Simplicity, my new album project, is now streamable from my YouTube channel.

Subscribe, like, and share the links!

Comment

I need to remember to ask Daddymack what the original message was changed to...

"Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."

- George Carlin

"It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."

"The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."

Comment

• daddymack
        daddymack commented
        Editing a comment
        it was a live stream sportspam, IIRC...

when will we stop allowing nonsense monikers confirmation?
        Last edited by daddymack; 09-12-2017, 09:25 AM.

• Phil O'Keefe
        Phil O'Keefe commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks!

I use as a bellwhether whether anyone has replied to these posts. I don't care how many views...If it has a weird author name and no replies I figure it's a spammer trying to drum up business, and I ignore like it was a Congressman.
      Or a President...
      http://thebasement.createaforum.com/

Comment

• 1001gear
        1001gear commented
        Editing a comment
        This is also a mini issue. When you pancake these things they must later be "discovered" by someone looking for them. Seems to me this leaves an open account for them even if no one reads the schitt.

• daddymack
        daddymack commented
        Editing a comment
        we do try to nail the spammers ASAP, sometimes they get buried

As activity on the forum continues to pick up, I'm now opening threads more to check for spammers who've dropped down several posts.

Of course the people like 1001gear who alert us to the arsewholes help considerably.

Comment

• 1001gear
        1001gear commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks for giving me away.

the forum is a ghost town and spammers are laughing all the way to the bank
      sad

Comment

Originally posted by bieke View Post
        the forum is a ghost town and spammers are laughing all the way to the bank
        sad
        Have you looked at our Alexa numbers lately? They're way up.

We've always had to deal with spammers - that's nothing new.

- George Carlin

Comment

Funny....I don't feel very Ghosty...But maybe I'm dead and don't know it yet...Y'know like the Sixth Sense thingy?

Oh well.....Guess I'll just keep haunting the place with my banal, empty posts....Crawling back to my own Forum where spammers never tread...

http://thebasement.createaforum.com/

Comment

• daddymack
            daddymack commented
            Editing a comment
            I see guitar players...

Originally posted by AlamoJoe View Post
          Funny....I don't feel very Ghosty...But maybe I'm dead and don't know it yet...Y'know like the Sixth Sense thingy?
          Actually I associate you more with the Six String thing

Comment

Originally posted by Phil O'Keefe View Post

Have you looked at our Alexa numbers lately? They're way up.

We've always had to deal with spammers - that's nothing new.
            yes I check Alexa and the other webstats on a monthly basis
            according to Alexa, daily page views per visitor is 1.24, and time spent on the site is about 99 seconds, which is slightly better than last month
            even though Alexa (and other) numbers are up, it does not seem have any effect on forum activity
            not that many new threads being posted, threads are not getting many views, it's usually the same group of members that is logged on, about 100, sometimes little more, sometimes little less

and spam, sorry but HC does not deal with it
            it's too easy for the spammers to sign up and start spamming

even though it only takes a minute to identify the spammers (I always go to the member list, sort by join date and voila, there they are, the daily batch of fresh new spammers (and non posters), unfortunately, you can only see one page of new members, the member list has been broken for years now, otherwise it would be really easy to find all of the spammers

another option, is to do first post moderation

Comment

Originally posted by bieke View Post

yes I check Alexa and the other webstats on a monthly basis
              according to Alexa, daily page views per visitor is 1.24, and time spent on the site is about 99 seconds, which is slightly better than last month
              even though Alexa (and other) numbers are up, it does not seem have any effect on forum activity
              The important aspect of these stats is that they are averages. This doesn't mean all the visitors spend 99 seconds on the site. Also remember that Harmony Central is not just forums. The articles and newsletter are important components.

We receive extremely detailed analytics information that is far more granular than what Alexa provides. For example...
              • The newsletter subscriber list of opt-ins is now 84,000. We started the year with 24,000.
              • YOY, July had a 20.59% increase in users, 20.9% increase in sessions, and a 16.5% increase in page views.
              • Organic search growth is up 24.28%, and the direct growth of 6.13% means we're getting "stickier." Social growth is up 18.4%.
              • The forums had 18.29% more traffic. Biggest growth is guitars (22.27%), Keyboards (23.44%), and Bass (15.43%).
              • Reviews are up 13.27%, Expert Reviews up 6.04%, and articles up a surprising 37.13%.
              Previous months showed similar growth. Of course we always want Harmony Central to do better, but it has had one full year of continuous growth and we intend to keep that going.

Comment

Working...
              X