"Pet" sounds

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
flute' date=' violin, concertina, zither...and steel drums[/quote']

I had the opportunity to work with a large steel drum band from Trinidad and Tobago once many years ago - they're extremely impressive en masse like that, and they make a very cool sound!

Guitars, drums, bass.

If it's good enough for Chuck Berry...

:thu:

I was looking for things that are slightly more on the esoteric side, but there's nothing wrong with the staples at all!

Especially Pops Staples and his Jazzmaster... ;)

• Moderators

I played in a Calypso/reggae band in the mid to late 1970s, the 'guys' were from all over the Caribbean, most from Trinidad, but Jamaica, Barbados, St. Kitts, too [i was their 'token white guitar player']...once you feel the 'pan', it never lets go.. I got pretty good at comprehending the 'patois', too :cool:

• Moderators

Aside from the obvious stuff (Rhodes, B3, Wurly, Clav, etc...)

Tablas. Love them, they add an amazingly musical texture to the percussion.

Melotron. Yeah, I know it is old and kinda cliche, but I still love the strings and flutes.

• Moderators
no theremin love around here' date=' eh? I left it out only because I have never had teh opportunity to record with one...someday...:idk:[/quote']

I have. Ugh... that's all I gotta say. Of course I was recording Angelo Moore from Fishbone, "playing" it through an Eventide H3000 harmonizer :lol:

• Members

I know you know most all instruments. With that we have all kinds of noise makers. Tubes that groan, slide whistles, thumb pianos and many more. Those can be great for transitions or drones to little background trinkets to the sound. They will also inspire you to think of parts with your main instruments you would not usually go to.

• Members
Aside from the obvious stuff (Rhodes, B3, Wurly, Clav, etc...)

Tablas. Love them, they add an amazingly musical texture to the percussion.

Melotron. Yeah, I know it is old and kinda cliche, but I still love the strings and flutes.

Eh?? You hate prog...

:eekphil:

• Members

I have. Ugh... that's all I gotta say. Of course I was recording Angelo Moore from Fishbone, "playing" it through an Eventide H3000 harmonizer :lol:

I was unlucky enough to be at the SF Bowie tribute last year but lucky enough to hear that dude sing Moonage Daydream. The only performer worth a dang in the whole sorry mess.

Also saw Fishbone perform several times way back when. Always great. :cool03:

• Members
A surprisingly great kick sound can come from a suitcase.

I once used an old license plate for a second snare track.

A worn out rainstick can be amazing.

Our drummer made the world his kit. Miss him every day.

Archived