Shure SM7B

• Members

I'm looking to add a new mic to the collection and I going to be doing some voice over as well. Therefore I was looking at the SM7B. I'm not sure I can justify a microphone for nothing but voice over so I was wondering if anyone had any experience using it for music as well. If so did you use it for vocals and instrument? If instruments which ones. If you did use it for either or both how do you think it did?

Thanks.

Frankly, I've always preferred the E/V RE20 (and RE320) over the SM7b, but YMMV. Sure, the Shure is good for spoken word and some singers, but the RE20 also works for those things... as well as for kick drums, saxophones, guitar and bass amps... if you're going to try one, I'd suggest auditioning both if you can and see which one you prefer.

• Members
Frankly' date=' I've always preferred the [b']E/V RE20 (and RE320) [/b]over the SM7b, but YMMV. Sure, the Shure is good for spoken word and some singers, but the RE20 also works for those things... as well as for kick drums, saxophones, guitar and bass amps... if you're going to try one, I'd suggest auditioning both if you can and see which one you prefer.

Different animals, but both are good.

I was recently looking at the RE20, and may pull the string on this one.

You can save a bit of money with the RE320 rather than an RE20 and they are said to sound the same. Its a good mic.

I have plenty of experience with both - yes, they sound very similar. The main differences are that one is black and the other is silver, one is made in the USA (RE20) and the other in China... and there's a difference in their switches, with the RE20 having a more typical flat/HPF switch while the RE320 switch goes from flat to a more kick-friendly EQ curve when engaged.

I think the magnets and internal capsule assemblies used may be different too.

• Members
Frankly' date=' I've always preferred the E/V RE20 (and RE320) over the SM7b, but YMMV. Sure, the Shure is good for spoken word and some singers, but the RE20 also works for those things... as well as for kick drums, saxophones, guitar and bass amps... if you're going to try one, I'd suggest auditioning both if you can and see which one you prefer.[/quote']

Where would a person even audition these mics?

I don't believe there is anywhere even remotely close where I have seen you can audition mics.

I go to Memphis somewhat regularly maybe someone from around there would know.

• Members

What sorts of things do you usually use it for - vocals?

yep... and guitar cabs... i've even put it in front of an acoustic guitar for a choppy rhythmic part... it was perfect for the particular part. (i actually did it intending for it to be a rough take, but the sound fitted so well i kept it)

but mainly vocals through a great pre and great compressors

Where would a person even audition these mics?

At my place. :lol:

Actually, I don't have a SM7B but that comment is not totally in jest. Do you have a few decently equipped studios in your area? Check out their mic lists on their websites to see if they have models you're interested in and then call them up and see if you can rent an hour or two of time to do some mic comparisons. It's relatively easy (and interesting) work, so most places will be cool with it if you tell them what you have in mind.

I don't believe there is anywhere even remotely close where I have seen you can audition mics.

I go to Memphis somewhat regularly maybe someone from around there would know.

There are other possibilities beyond studios. :)

If there's a pro audio dealer in the Memphis area, you can probably audition some mics there.

Another possibility is music stores. Some dealers will even let you order a couple of mikes and send back the one you don't like, but beware! Many dealers have a no return policy on microphones, so if you want to try doing that, it's wise to ask them about their return policies first.

Of course, you can always call up a few studio gear rental companies - we have lots of them in LA, and I suspect there must be at least one or two in Memphis (if not, try Nashville) who will rent you the microphones you're interested in for a day or two so you can do more extensive tests in the comfort of your own facility.

• Members

At my place. :lol:

Actually, I don't have a SM7B but that comment is not totally in jest. Do you have a few decently equipped studios in your area? Check out their mic lists on their websites to see if they have models you're interested in and then call them up and see if you can rent an hour or two of time to do some mic comparisons. It's relatively easy (and interesting) work, so most places will be cool with it if you tell them what you have in mind.

There are other possibilities beyond studios. :)

If there's a pro audio dealer in the Memphis area, you can probably audition some mics there.

Another possibility is music stores. Some dealers will even let you order a couple of mikes and send back the one you don't like, but beware! Many dealers have a no return policy on microphones, so if you want to try doing that, it's wise to ask them about their return policies first.

Of course, you can always call up a few studio gear rental companies - we have lots of them in LA, and I suspect there must be at least one or two in Memphis (if not, try Nashville) who will rent you the microphones you're interested in for a day or two so you can do more extensive tests in the comfort of your own facility.

I will definitely do that, or just fly out to LA and audition some of your mics. :D

Archived