What are you using for drums?

Do you record 'the real thing" exclusively?

Do you augment your drum recordings with samples?

Use a drum replacement tool - if so, which one?

Do you use MIDI drums and samples exclusively? If so, how do you prefer to play / program - with a e-kit, keyboard, step entry, or…?

• Members

generally speaking...Roland E Kit with bfd3 (with expansions including ones from platinum samples)and ssd4 (with chris lorde alge expansion)

drums are a mix of playing and loops/programming... i will also combine programs e.g. beef up a bfd kick with a slate sample

I really need to check out SSD4. Steve Slate's stuff is usually quite impressive and useful.

I recently did a review of FXpansion's BFD Horsepower, which is a really nice expansion for BFD3. It's a fairly natural sounding kit overall, which works well for a lot of the type of things I tend to work on. I can always process them myself if I want somehing along those lines. The main thing that was a bit of a disappointment was the snare, but that's just personal preferences.

Which BFD expansions are you using? Any particular favorites?

• Members
I really need to check out SSD4. Steve Slate's stuff is usually quite impressive and useful.

I recently did a review of FXpansion's BFD Horsepower, which is a really nice expansion for BFD3. It's a fairly natural sounding kit overall, which works well for a lot of the type of things I tend to work on. I can always process them myself if I want somehing along those lines. The main thing that was a bit of a disappointment was the snare, but that's just personal preferences.

Which BFD expansions are you using? Any particular favorites?

i have 8 bit kit... percussion... jazz maple... oak custom... i also have the joe barresi evil drums pack, rock legends quickpack and henry hirsch manic love from platinum samples..... the jazz maple is really good for a brushes sound.... but i probably use the joe barresi drums the most

i've heard the blackbird expansion for ssd4 is really good... i'm tempted to pick that up... the CLA expansion is great for some stuff... more of a pre-mixed sound

• Members

I have only purchased one set of drums in my life time. Premier's made in the UK in the 1990's. I bought them new. From my research I believe they are the XPK series, and came with 2 toms, the floor tom, a snare and a 22" kick. Plus the hardware and a throne. I added a HH that I thought sounded nice. Some Sabian Signature model by a guy named Jack DeJohnnette. The crash and ride was made by zildjian and they are a K model.

I could barely play the drums when I bought hem, I'm still not that good. I'm a guitar player anyway.

I replaced the heads with Evans heads. EMAD2 clear on the kick, G2 clears on the Toms and Genera Dry on the snare. This was all recommended to me by one of the sales reps at the GC, after we chatted for quite a long time.

about 2 years ago I bought a Yamaha digital drumkit. Model DTX 532 K.

I like the digital drums a lot cause they are quite.

I set out to buy a Roland kit, but like the acoustic sounds of the Yamaha better. Yamaha acoutsic drums are nice and is they can't sample there own kit, who can.

I mic the real drum kit up Glyn Johns style and might even mic the room up, which is my old dusty 100 year old cellar.

I mix to taste.

I really should practice the drums more, but I'm helping out a buddy of mine, playing mandolin these days. No drummer in this project.

This is kinda what I has.

attachment.php?attachmentid=249362&stc=1&d=1161017655

and mic-ed up they can sound like this.

[video=youtube;nLZ6Gi3dGCg]

• Members

drums.jpg

When I'm recording myself, I use just a basic beat on an Alesis SR-16 and listen to that while recording the piano part, but on the final product I'll play this kit. The mics have been upgraded since this pic was taken and there's an additional cymbal now but that's my kit.

I'm still not very good but I'm getting better slowly.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

These days I'm all digital / mobile:

Various Korg apps, including iElectribe

Korg Kaossilator Pro 2 (which can be used as a sampler w/XY touchpad, which I do)

DM-1 is best for immediate sketches and occasionally for inspired variety of soundscapes

Funkbox for some classic sample sounds

But most I've been using DrumPerfectPro, an IOS based app that has a small-but-loyal following. What sets it apart from other simple step-sequencers is the deep and thoughtful humanizing elements built into the program. For example, each stroke triggers a sound that is the average of two sounds, selected from among 16 user-defined sounds. If I have a snare on the 2nd beat, it will look at the 16 samples I've included in the kit it is playing, and randomly choose two and blend them. There is also a randomizer for A/B strokes, and you can independent parameters for each stroke relating to velocity, volume, etc. You can adjust each / all stroke down to .001 ....

Really, it feels much more human than most drum machines / programs / plug-ins / anything-but-human-drummers I've heard. No two 'playbacks' are close to the being the same, and I like that they channel each instrument via CAA so I can put each kit item on a separate channel in my DAW.

Honestly, it's a great program - the only drawbacks are the steep learning curve, and that it is the child of a developer in the Netherlands who does a great job supporting it, but is still only one guy. That, and you are ultimately constrained by time-lining / charting a song; you can't simply decide "we're gonna keep this groove going another 90 seconds and just jam."

• Members

I have one of the first Pacific Kits that I got for graduation. It has a 14 steel snare, 12,13,16 toms and a 22 kick. All pacific hardware. However I actually don't have cymbals right now. I mostly play guitar at church and a friend of mine is the drummer. He has a nice set of Sabian HH's. Anyway I had cymbals, but a guy playing in the youth borrowed mine to add to his set, and somewhere after that they disappeared. Being as they were some $200 Zildjian's I'm not totally heart broken. I always wanted something better, but still a disappointing.

Anyway they are still used in the main sanctuary for every service. I have them mic'd up with a Peil PR48 kick mic, snare has a PR20ut, toms are using CAD M179's, and I have a pair of SM81's for overheads set up in a Recorderman/Glyn Johns style.

As far as heads I have an evans EMAD on the kick, snare is a Genera HD dry, and toms, are EC2's. I think it sound pretty solid.

Also the drummer had a killer DW kit before he started using mine. It was a zebrawood custom shop set. It looked and sounded fantastic. Need the money and had to sell it, but I tried to convince him otherwise. If I could have afforded it, I would have bought it. It was killer.

He also had a another set of DW's when I first started playing with him. It was all black with gold hardware. Literally had 5-6 toms a huge Gibraltar rack set up with a crap load of cymbals. Two hi-hats, one was a remote. If he would have had two bass drums it would have been something straight out of a 80's hair metal band haha. I used to give him crap about it. But I've been more of a minimalist when it comes to drums. But that's probably because I first tried to emulate jazz players.

Anyway if I could change anything, and will eventually, it would be to get a really nice snare or 4. Probably start off with a nice deep maple snare. May even get one with maple hoops. Of course a nice little picalo would probably be the next one. Then probably a really nice metal snare like a black beauty. Being the center of the kit, it's kind of sad to realize it's probably the weakest link in my current kit. I may fix this sooner than later. haha

• Members

Oh and as far as "virtual" goes. I have Air's Strike, SSD4, Slate's trigger, and probably a few others. I much prefer a real kit, but the others can be very useful and time saving. Especially since I don't have super easy access to my kit right now. Trigger is great for beefing up a kit. And it has one of the best gate's I've ever used on drums. Sometimes I use it just for that.

• Members
Nice guys. :) What are you using for mikes and preamps etc?

Nothing with the digital drums.

With the acoustic drums

a Beyer M88 on the kick

2 Beyer M 160's on the overhead and side

A SM 75 on the snare.

I rarely do a room mic, cause the room I record the drums in, is not that special

Pre amps are DBX 586's, which I have had repaired twice. Harman is not my fav company these days

• Moderators

I record whatever kit they bring in, then augment the tracks with Steven Slate samples. Strangely I was comped the SS stuff but I could never get their plug in to work with Adobe Audition which is my preferred DAW (stop laughing!) so I still use Drumagog with the SS samples. SS has by far the best samples I've ever heard / used.

Terry D.

• Members

What are you using for drums?

A small toy kit like the one in this picture...

hello_goodbye.jpg

but seriously...

lately i've been using the DrumJam app on my iPad - playing it from the iPad, a MIDI keyboard with pads or by using the MIDI sequencer in Reaper.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

In my studio I use Native Instruments Battery, triggered by a trusty Akai MPC2000XL. I rarely use the MPC for drum sounds, but would occasionally load up kits and program basic beats on them while composing (with the final drum tracks done on Battery).

For my band's album project, the drums were either my Battery drum samples or from my own drummer's DW drum kit, which he records in his own basement.garage studio and sends the tracks for me to mix.

Nope, but I had a guy use a plastic 5 gallon bucket once and it sounded pretty killer.

I've always liked the idea of "found object percussion" - that seemed to be popular for a while in the early days of sampling, and while there was a tendency for some people to use just anything, or make all the percussion out of weird samples and overdo it, I think it can be interesting and fun when done creatively and with thought and taste.

Probably my favorite time I recorded something like that we used a large restaurant CO2 canister; we used it for a sustaining steam / hiss type sound (releasing the gas through a rubber nipple attached to it) as well as hitting it with a stick - it had this amazing bell-like tone when struck.

Archived