Waves CLA compressors -- CPU efficient?

• Members

Hey all,

Not sure if we have any users of the Waves CLA compressors (CLA76, CLA2A, CLA3A), but I'm curious how they fare in terms of CPU performance. I'm a big UAD user, but when I start running Lexicon reverbs, buss compressors, etc., it lowers my ability to run many instances of the venerable 1176 on individual channels. I don't have the updated/re-coded UAD compressors, but those would only be more chip hungry.

Rather than buying another UAD farm card, I'm thinking about buying the CLA bundle.

So with a modern computer (2012), is the CLA instance count pretty limitless, or are they hungry plugins?

Thanks in advance.

Todd

• Members
Hey all,

Not sure if we have any users of the Waves CLA compressors (CLA76, CLA2A, CLA3A), but I'm curious how they fare in terms of CPU performance. I'm a big UAD user, but when I start running Lexicon reverbs, buss compressors, etc., it lowers my ability to run many instances of the venerable 1176 on individual channels. I don't have the updated/re-coded UAD compressors, but those would only be more chip hungry.

Rather than buying another UAD farm card, I'm thinking about buying the CLA bundle.

So with a modern computer (2012), is the CLA instance count pretty limitless, or are they hungry plugins?

Thanks in advance.

Todd

I have owned the CLA collection for at least 5 years now. To be completely honest, I don`t look at CPU usage when using my DAW/plugs but if performance was spotty, I would have noticed by now. Granted, I have my iMac maxed out with RAM. Most of my songs are 24-40 tracks of audio/VIs with multiple plugs being used at the same time. No problems to report.

I do not have any experience with the UAD stuff but from what I`ve read online, most users have nothing bad to say. I really like the CLA stuff as well and having used the hardware (LA-2a and 1176s), the plugs are pretty darn close. I use them a lot. If you`re looking for compressor plugs, the CLA collection and the SSL collection are definitely worth it. (Waves has specials every month so you may want to wait for sales on those collections.)

• Members

I have the older set of Waves plugins. I still think they are some of the best out there. As far as consumption goes, they are what I'd consider to be medium/heavy CPU consumption plugs back when I first got them. Computers have come a long way since then and they would be medium or light on most computers now. . I normally use them for mastering but I can run quite a few instances in Sonar without any big issues.

I don't have the newer ones but I'd think waves would use similar logrhythms to keep the consumption down. Allot of times they just shift parameters and give plugins a new GUI without any big changes to the original codes. I'm not sure how much they could improve on the older ones besides the way the parameters work/blend. The GUI on the older ones are a little primitive compared to newer ones but I'd still put the results above most others I've tried, especially their multiband and limiter.

• Members

Thanks guys. When the CLA bundle goes on sale next, I think I'll grab it. I'm also interested in their Hybrid Compressor (H Compressor), and perhaps when it goes on sale I'll grab one of those as well.

I still use the Renaissance Compressor a lot... Good sound, and easy on the CPU.

Thanks again.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I did buy them, but I haven't installed them yet. I ran into an issue with the installer, and I haven't had a chance to apply the fix yet. I only get ~30 minutes at most in the studio per day, and I didn't want to lose that time to troubleshooting. On the weekends, I might get 1-2 hours In a day.

• Members

Hi Phil,

I got it resolved last night. My audio PC is off the network and Internet, so it doesn't get Windows updates. When I went to install Waves Central, it threw an exception. Luckily Waves got back to me quickly with the recommended O/S patch, and the plugins installed flawlessly.

So far I really like them. I use the 1176 far more than the others, and it sounds very similar to the UA recreations. I've never used a real 1176, but given that I now have two recreations that sound very similar, I trust the real thing is in the ballpark.

Thanks again.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members
Hi Phil,

I got it resolved last night. My audio PC is off the network and Internet, so it doesn't get Windows updates. When I went to install Waves Central, it threw an exception. Luckily Waves got back to me quickly with the recommended O/S patch, and the plugins installed flawlessly.

So far I really like them. I use the 1176 far more than the others, and it sounds very similar to the UA recreations. I've never used a real 1176, but given that I now have two recreations that sound very similar, I trust the real thing is in the ballpark.

Thanks again.

Glad to hear you`re up and running. Every time I install Waves plugs, I end up calling them. Their installation process is less than intuitive.

Hi Phil,

Thanks again.

A real 1176 is one of my all-time favorite compressor/limiters - they're about as speedy as they come, and super-common in LA-area studios. Glad to hear you got everything worked out and that it's all working for you now! :cool2:

Archived