Please recommend a small mixer

• Members

Hi,

I have a Mackie CR1604-VLZ that must be about 20 years old and it has started to crackle and cut out on different channels. So I'm thinking of replacing it. My requirements have changed in the past 20 years so I'm looking for some very basic mixing functions. What I'm basically doing is using it to hook everything up in the studio that I may need to record and then the mixer feeds my audio I/F for the DAW, Studio One 3.2.

So basically I could make do with a 12 channel line mixer as long as I can have one stereo output going to my monitors, one stereo output going to my audio I/F and one headphone output with volume control. EQ and everything else is done ITB. Rackmount preferable.

Can you recommend anything that would work for me?

Cheers,

​Mats N

• Members
Hey Mats!

I love my PreSonus 16.0.2

https://www.presonus.com/products/StudioLive-16.0.2

Disclaimer: I used to work for PreSonus, but I don't any more. I still use this mixer every day though :-)

Hi Rodney,

I also like that mixer but I would like to get something a bit more compact and, if possible, a bit less expensive as I really don't need all the features of the 16.0.2.

Send me a mail and tell me a bout your new life!

Cheers,

Mats N

Thanks for the suggestion. Are the MG boards about the same sound quality as my old Mackie?

Cheers,

Mats N

I've never A/B'd them, but I have used both and would say that they're roughly comparable in terms of overall sound quality.

What about something like a summing mixer? If you don't need a bunch of aux sends or any EQ, that might be an option worth looking into.

• Members

Thanks, Phil! Regarding a summing mixer or similar, Mike Rivers suggested a Tascam LM-8ST. That has 8 stereo channels (enough) and two stereo outputs so I can have one going to my monitors and one to my audio I/F. Then there's an headphone output. Inputs are on TRS so I can go balanced and the inputs have selectable -10/+4. That seems to be all I need so that's definitely on my list of possibilities. 1U rackspace is also attractive.

Cheers,

Mats N

• Members
I would also check out the Behringer Xr series of rack mounted digital mixers. They have really come a long way with their digital mixers and the prices are great. It also will work as an interface with your DAW.

Hi MDM,

I have checked out the Behringer line of digital mixers since they first started showing up. They are interesting.

Cheers,

Mats N

Archived