Certain Vocal Sound

• Members

Phil, I have an idea of my ideal vocal sound, not the voice of course, but how it is processed.

I can't really explain it, but I could definitely give you a perfect example of it.

Heart of Gold on Johnny Cash's box set Unearthed is a great example. I understand that this type of question is very difficult to answer I'm just looking for any ideas that at least points me in the right direction.

Thanks.

You might want to check out this article in SOS...

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jun10/articles/it_0610.htm

Looks like a U67 was used for his vocals on most of the American recordings, although a U87 and a C414 were also used for some tracks. Preamping and compression came from a Universal Audio 6176 (610 tube preamp + an 1176 comp/limiter in a single channel strip type unit), tracked 24 bit at 48kHz.

While that's all first-rate gear, most of what I'm hearing on the Heart Of Gold recording is just Johnny - I wouldn't really chalk it up to the gear choices so much as the intrinsic qualities of his voice.

• Members
You might want to check out this article in SOS...

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jun10/articles/it_0610.htm

Looks like a U67 was used for his vocals on most of the American recordings, although a U87 and a C414 were also used for some tracks. Preamping and compression came from a Universal Audio 6176 (610 tube preamp + an 1176 comp/limiter in a single channel strip type unit), tracked 24 bit at 48kHz.

While that's all first-rate gear, most of what I'm hearing on the Heart Of Gold recording is just Johnny - I wouldn't really chalk it up to the gear choices so much as the intrinsic qualities of his voice.

Thanks, that helps alot.

Plus that article is a really good read.

Archived