Sennheiser e609 and the Shure SM57

• Members

Is one head and shoulders above the other for the studio as well as live performances? If I already have the e609 is it cost effective to add a SM57 as well, or would that money be better spent elsewhere?

For the record I am talking about using it with electric guitar amps.

If you already have one or the other and are satisfied with it, I really don't see a huge need to add the other. Having said that, I do own both. The Sennheiser is a bit tighter in terms of directionality (and in my experience is a bit more placement-sensitive), and it has the advantage of sitting flat against your amp if you do the "cable through the amp handle and dangle it in front of the grille" trick, but they're both moving coil dynamic mics - if you want something different, consider trying a ribbon mic (Cascade Fathead, Beyer M160, Royer, AEA, etc.) or a condenser, which if you're selective about what you get, could work for both acoustic guitar and vocal recording purposes too, as well as working well as a second electric guitar amp mic. Live, IMHO you're fine with either the Sennheiser or Shure.

• Moderators
it has the advantage of sitting flat against your amp if you do the "cable through the amp handle and dangle it in front of the grille" trick' date=' .[/quote']

...unless it's not touching the cloth grille and a "kinky" cable rotates it 90 degrees, as sometimes happens. The most embarrassing thing I've had happen with one was recording a semi-famous guy and wasting 20 min or so trying to find where all the little clicks were coming from, only to suddenly realize the guy's speaker cab had a metal grill and the mic was tapping on it! facepalm.gif

btw I prefer the 906 since it gives some tone options.

Terry D.

Archived