Portable Vocal Booths U Shaped Stand Mounted Filters

It will make some difference, but if you're getting too much "room" on your vocal tracks, there are (IMHO) simpler, cheaper and better ways of dealing with the problem. Go down to Harbor Freight and buy two or three moving blankets. They're dirt cheap - less than ten bucks a pop. Take a boom mic stand (or two or three) and configure it into a tall "T" shape. Drape the moving blanket over the top of the T. Put one of those behind the mic (so you're singing "towards" it) and also put another one right behind your back. That should be even more effective than one of those portable vocal booth shields, and will cost considerably less. wave.gif

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I think those vocal "shields" are perfect for background vocals or horn lines where you want a drier sound but it's not going to be extremely prominent in the mix. I've recorded my band's BG vocalists at their house and they have a shield, and the results turned out fine. But for lead vocals, I use my bedroom closet, which is pretty much dead sounding due to the clothes hanging in there. If you use these for lead vocal, you will have a tiny amount of room coloration/ambience if that track is prominent in the mix.

• 5 weeks later...
  • Members
I think those vocal "shields" are perfect for background vocals or horn lines where you want a drier sound but it's not going to be extremely prominent in the mix. I've recorded my band's BG vocalists at their house and they have a shield' date=' and the results turned out fine. But for lead vocals, I use my bedroom closet, which is pretty much dead sounding due to the clothes hanging in there. If you use these for lead vocal, you will have a tiny amount of room coloration/ambience if that track is prominent in the mix.[/quote']

Makes sense. I'll have to clean a closet out though to use it.

Speaking of commercial shields, a sE guitarRF arrived recently for a review. It's not a vocal shield, but it should still be interesting. I've been using one of their Instrument Reflection Filters (similar to, but smaller than the full-sized vocal shield) for quite some time to help reduce the hi hat spill into my snare mic. It works pretty well for that, and I suspect the unit intended to work on guitar amps will have similar utility - especially when used with a figure 8 ribbon mic.

• Members
Speaking of commercial shields, a sE guitarRF arrived recently for a review. It's not a vocal shield, but it should still be interesting. I've been using one of their Instrument Reflection Filters (similar to, but smaller than the full-sized vocal shield) for quite some time to help reduce the hi hat spill into my snare mic. It works pretty well for that, and I suspect the unit intended to work on guitar amps will have similar utility - especially when used with a figure 8 ribbon mic.

Is that the one made for an amp that has the hole in it for 57, and the stand that slides under the amp?

Archived