When will Cakewalk give us gain envelopes

• Members

I've complained about Cakewalk's envelope tool going all the way back to Cakewalk 7. I thought they would have improved it in the last upgrade to X1~3 but its the same tool they've had since the beginning. Its very difficult to use, lacks a numeric lines for making accurate envelopes and has no presets. If it had presets you could use the same setting over and over, but as it is you have to recreate the envelope from scratch each time you use it.

What you're talking about is the results of the envelopes written to the tracks which is something very different however. You're likely comparing it to other products that use different methods of creating an envelope. Cakewalk/sonar's Envelope tool actually changes the gain of the waveform itself by rendering the changes. It doesn't ovelay a gain envelope.

What Sonar does have for that is "Volume Automation" which overlays/records the changes in volume you make using the volume slider. If you have a midi Controller this can also be done with hardware slider which emulates motorized faders on a mixer.

I believe the Automation uses the same time bar to record this automation that the wave file uses, but I'm not sure how independent it is from the wave. I know you can go in and manipulate the volume changes you made playing the track back and recording the faders movements. It may be movable like a track is, or maybe the wave file can be moved leaving the automation in place.

It depends on whether and how the two are linked. I would guess they are linked and for several good reason. If you had to shift a track or stretch it you'd want to have the volume changes shift or stretch at the same time, but to tell you the truth, I've never needed to try what you suggest in the past 20 years since I been using the program. Out of the half dozen of so DAW programs I own I've found many variances in the ways manufacturers do things to get similar results. Steinberg does several things different with their mixer for example. Sonar switches between the effects running real time and direct sound using a button. Steinberg doesn't have a switch. You just move the slider to zero to hear the sound wit zero latency. Both methods work, its just done in different ways.

Maybe if you explained what you're trying to do you can get suggestions on better methods of getting things done. You may also want to look at the Sonar manual and visit their Q&A/Forum to see what it has to say. Knowing what the program can do can reveal many methods of getting things done. I come from an Analog background and when I first switched to digital I found Cakewalk had the closest design to match that technology, Plus it had all kinds of hidden tools built in I didn't know existed till I went in and dug into the manual.

Work flow methods do wind up being built around the programs capabilities. If you know what those capabilities are you can adapt to the ones that suit you best. If you find they are too far off from what you're used to, then maybe you want to try another DAW program. I've always been able to do anything I've needed to on just about any DAW. It takes a little getting used to, but I realize each have their positives and negatives.

• Members

In SONAR's architecture, Clip Automation is "owned" by the Clip, so the automation can't be separated from the event. However, you can create the same automation moves with track automation, and copy/cut/paste to different clips.

• Members

Yeah, gain envelopes don't affect the wav files. They are non-destructive.

I know how to use track automation, I've been using it for years. Track volume automation is post fader, which is not what I'm talking about.

I'm just waiting for Cakewalk to detach the gain automation from the wav file so I can automate BEFORE the eq, pro channel, effects bin and fader.

• Members
Track volume automation is post fader' date=' which is not what I'm talking about.[/quote']

Okay, now I see what you want.

I'm just waiting for Cakewalk to detach the gain automation from the wav file so I can automate BEFORE the eq, pro channel, effects bin and fader.

Well the problem isn't really an inability to automate, it's an inability to copy clip envelopes or having Gain become an automatable parameter, right? I suggest going to the feature request forum and getting people to vote on it. A lot of improvements have been made recently based on user input. The more compelling the reason you can present for wanting to do it, the better the odds of it happening.

Archived