I bought a usb/xlr cable as well as a usb/ 1/4 inch cable and both did not work with my computer. what is wrong?

• Members

I bought these on ebay and tried to use it for pc recording but both of them did not work. what could be wrong with my setup? the drivers installed successfully. i'm thinking its the sound card. maybe my computer does not have one for recording. the mic inputs of my pc never worked.

• Members
USB / XLR cable? :confused2:

USB / 1/4" cable? :confused2:

What devices are you trying to connect?

They are cables with one end USB and the other end is an xlr or 1/4" end. i plan to use it to plug a microphone or guitar straight into the usb slot of the computer.

Aah, I see - sounds like they're cables with line level USB interfaces built in. I'd be rather suspicious of such products. Probably not built and marketed by a large, reputable company... and who knows what the drivers are like? Personally I'd be more comfortable with a dedicated 2x2 audio interface from a well-regarded audio company like PreSonus, Tascam or Focusrite.

BTW, I suspect the mic cable you have (XLR to USB) is probably a line level cable; you'll probably still need to plug the mic into a mic preamp first, then feed the line level XLR output from that into the XLR -> USB cable in order to have enough signal level for it to work.

• Members

Is it something like this? http://www.zzounds.com/item--HOSUSQ110?siid=122341&gclid=CPToh4_Fy8UCFQiRaQodh1IAyA

If so they are suppose to work but they are not a cheap alternative to an actual interface. Most can record CD quality 16/44.1 but I wouldn't expect decent sound quality. (They likely rely on a $2 sound card chip consisting of a preamp and converter)

These kinds of cables are one way recording devices. They provide no monitoring or playback abilities. They are "only" useful if you already have an interface and just want a short cut method of plugging in for a track. Even then thay are a pain in the butt because you have to swap drives on and off in the software which gets old really fast. You cant multi-track with them because they playback monitoring.

You need 3 items to record properly. Interface that runs on ASIO drivers. DAW software, and Monitors connected to the interface

You cant be running a Windows sound card and one of these cables at the same time. A DAW will only accept one device at a time.

(Dual devices must be the same kind, that are designed to be linked, have special drivers written for them and have the ability to run off a master clock or have their clocks linked together in a master slave configurations to work properly)

Since the cable has no monitoring you cant multi-track with them. You need to hear tracks play back in sync with the new tracks being recording You are essentially recording blind (or deaf) using these kinds of cables. You may get a single track recorded but since the cable has no playback capabilities you will never know if you were successful.

Even if you switch back to a windows card for playback, any professional DAW program isn't going to recognize a windows sound cards as valid recording devices. If you did force it to work some how using conversion drivers, you couldn't multi-track with it because Windows sound cards don't provide zero latency.

You need, hardware that uses ASIO drivers for recording and playback. The monitors need to connect to the recording interface to provide zero latency monitoring, and you need an interface that provides zero latency monitoring.

The cheapest New two channel interfaces I've seen are the Lexicon Alpha. They record two channels at ones and will provide zero latency monitoring. They do not have 48V phantom power for Condenser mics. You'd need a separate phantom power supply or use dynamic mics. The units do come with Cubase LE.

From there you have many others. You can usually do much better buying used but there is also allot of dated and mac only stuff so be sure you read the manufacturers specs carefully. Some have old XP drivers and are sold off cheap because they don't work with newer operating systems.

Archived