How to make the Grammy Awards more relevant in the 21st Century

The Grammy Awards are one of the biggest events in the music industry, but they're not without their problems and controversy. If it was up to you, what things would you do to make the awards more interesting and more relevant to a modern audience?

• Members

I would begin by saying I already know that any suggestions mentioned hearin already falls on tin deaf ears,

for all those who host this charade really care about is money, sponsorship, ad revenue, status quo and public opinion.

Everything and anything that is the true anti-thesis of Rock 'n Roll,

real rebellion and creativity. That being said, it wouln't be hard at all to increase their viewership, credibility and hope for a future generation of musicians that there is a future for music by proving that they all aren't just a bunch of curmudgeonally, decrepit old men bent on maintaining exclusive access to their club, mentality, tradition and resources, for once and for all.

I've been a musician all my life and I've actually seen the grammies 3 or 4 times in the last fifty years, and only several years after the fact of broadcast on youtube, this is how completely irrelevant they have become to me.

With that being said I will still offer as food for thought save that their still is anybody out there that is listening,

still truly hungry, unsatisfied and still on fire with desire and the angst and aftermath of wrath of god type lightning, lust and light for change, creativity and real inspiration to upend, dismantle and forever remake the language of music into a new image, a new vision and a new experience...now with my disclaimer out of the way...

Start by adding things unexpected, non-traditional and completely untried. For instance, imagine a Trent Reznor on main vocals with Dave Grohl, Steve Vai and Joe Perry on guitar, Mike Portnoy on skins and Stanley Clarke on Bass, with Madonna, Queen B, Kate Perry and Rihanna on a 4 part background harmony vocal, doing a five song set of completely new original material that they all created, rehearsed and performed.

Add a healthy dose of superior electronic instrumentation, {sequences, synth's, symphony, sound effects, etc} state of the art effects processing, surround and mixdown and put it all into a completely cutting edge type of visual presentation, with multiple screens, video feeds and state of the art lighting and special effects.

Star Wars meets the stage kinda sh!te, dig?

You get the idea, change it up so there is more real diversity, departure from tradition and distinguishment from all the rest of the BS that is the teenage wasteland. Of course it would never happen, for they all are only about conformity, conservatism, and peaceful coexistence as a formula to generate revenue, massive numbers of views and advertisers.That is exactly why they should disappear, because they are like every other awards show out there, afraid of real controversy, real creativity and real discovery of the possibilities of really pushing the boundaries of culture, music and performance. They don't need to raise the bar, they need to remove it forever so that people can know that the alternative is real, possible and achievable: that the imagination is the only frontier, and that space is truly the place for what's left of our grace for the human race, if humanity or Hollywood has any left at all.

I don't think so. So f-off and blow.

Then get on with the awards show after those in the know, know; that something is different,

not stagnant, malignant and stale, not needing leadership, but steering the ship to a new uncharted destination, not of desperation, but of anticipation...

I wont ever watch this or Idol or Voice or DWTS or any of this stuff ever again, I'm the wiser for it. News that they were actually even contemplating doing something important like this would reach me before it ever happened thereby lending them some badly needed credibility that maybe just maybe, that there is a reason to trust the generation in power.

• Members
They don't need to raise the bar' date=' they need to remove it forever so that people can know that the alternative is real, possible and achievable: that the imagination is the only frontier, and that space is truly the place for what's left of our grace for the human race, if humanity or Hollywood has any left at all.[/quote']

Wow. That applies to a lot more than the Grammys. Hearffelt and brilliant.

Anyway, a big problem with the Grammys is that they are not inspiring or moving. Any emotional moments are choreographed.

Also, music is about spontaneity and playing without a net. I understand that of course, everything is choreographed because the people putting on the Grammys want a smooth, predictable entertainment experience...not that there's anything wrong with that (e.g., Cirque du Soleil). But that's not what music is about, it's about those magical moments that happen when you throw away the rule book and see what happens.

• Members

I agree with almost everything you said in your thought. That being said, I think Album of the Year is relevant and we should do what we can and encourage artist and producers to create more than just a one hit wonder. I long for good albums that contain good songs and occasionally I find them.

I think Album of the Year is relevant and we should do what we can and encourage artist and producers to create more than just a one hit wonder. I long for good albums that contain good songs and occasionally I find them.

Album of the Year is probably the one album category that I think can still be justified, but IMO there are just way too many Grammy album categories, and too little public interest in albums anymore for them to be relevant.

Like you, I'm a big fan of the album as a format and art form, but the public generally isn't anymore - we're kind of in the minority these days. IMHO moving the Grammy Awards away from an emphasis on albums would be more in keeping with where the industry - and public - has been headed for quite some time now.

• Members

Album of the Year is probably the one album category that I think can still be justified, but IMO there are just way too many Grammy album categories, and too little public interest in albums anymore for them to be relevant.

Like you, I'm a big fan of the album as a format and art form, but the public generally isn't anymore - we're kind of in the minority these days. IMHO moving the Grammy Awards away from an emphasis on albums would be more in keeping with where the industry - and public - has been headed for quite some time now.

I can't argue that. The only time I really buy an album anymore is when I want to support an artist I really, really like. Mostly so they can get credit for an album sale.

I just bought Dwight Yoakam's new album for that very reason.

• Members

I don't think I've watched the Grammy's in many years. The last one I saw had Donovan up there trying to do some live stuff and wound up sounding embarrassingly bad. To me they are simply media events full of bottom feeders put on by recording companies and producers trying to squeeze a few extra dollars out of the albums and artists.

Given the fact these artists are musicians, not movie actors who have highly trained photogenic camera training, nearly all look uncomfortable and out of place doing the whole Hollywood Oscar format. Very few musicians can make the whole crossover thing to film.

Of course there have been many who mastered it with good coaching. People like Elvis and Sinatra Beatles and others were able to do it, but most musicians tend to be much more shy and recluse. They do well on their own turf which is stage and studio.

I think the media should attempt to meet them on their ground, vs. the other way around. It would not only build interest and sell more music, but it would also inspire others to get into music more.

What the Grammy's are, and have been for a long time is a media joke. I think I lost interest long before the Eagles failed to show up for their awards. I think that one band expressed what most fans thought of the event and all of its bogus hype and in the process kept that rebellious rock and roll spirit alive for others who rarely if ever see any kind of recognition from the industry.

Maybe the commercial sponsors who place adds during the Grammy's should rethink how their money is spent and invest it directly with the artists instead. God knows most musicians can use the money and I think most companies could do just as well if not better with some creative advertisements.

If they invest in an album they could stick a logo on the cover. Instruments and rock gear could be akin to what race car drivers do in the auto industry advertising. Instead musicians are left to duke it out on their own with no support until they actually do make money.

Why not support the art from the time a kid picks up and instrument in school till they make it big time like they do in football. They are all blood sports to some degree when you get right down to it, its just the wounds don't always show when it comes to musicians.

iggy azalea was nominated for best new artist.... and this guy wasn't

ZcDxk9CSTo8

i have little hope for the grammys

^^^ I keep holding out hope, but that's pretty sad.

they need to focus on the music the artists are producing, rather than the popularity of the artist

I couldn't agree more!

On a similar note, check out this opinion piece on why awards shows are fundamentally flawed...

http://www.audiomediainternational.com/opinion/andy-coules-on-why-awards-shows-are-fundamentally-flawed/04286

Archived