New Apollo interfaces from UA

I just got this in a press release and thought I'd pass it along. I've been really impressed with the UAD plugins and UA hardware I've tried, like the Apollo Twin. These look pretty interesting too...

UNIVERSAL AUDIO ANNOUNCES NEXT-GENERATION APOLLO THUNDERBOLT 2 AUDIO INTERFACES FOR 2015 [TABLE=width: 100%]

[TR]

[TD] [TABLE=class: wysiwyg_table_wysiwyg_table_wysiwyg_table_ecxdevicewidth, width: 600, align: center]

[TR]

[TD] [TABLE=class: wysiwyg_table_wysiwyg_table_wysiwyg_table_ecxdevicewidth, width: 600, align: center]

[TR]

[TD] [TABLE=class: wysiwyg_table_wysiwyg_table_wysiwyg_table_ecxdevicewidthinner, width: 560, align: center]

[TR]

[TD]SCOTTS VALLEY, CA • April 15, 2015 — Universal Audio is proud to introduce an all-new line of Apollo audio interfaces for Mac Thunderbolt users. With next-generation A/D and D/A conversion, new monitoring functions, Thunderbolt cascading of up to four interfaces, and Realtime UAD Processing — all housed within a sleek, black aluminum package — the new Apollo interfaces push the standard forward for professional music recording and production.

New Apollo Interface Shared Features:

• Next-generation Apollo A/D and D/A conversion improves upon the original gold-standard Apollos
  • Onboard UAD-2 DSP allows Realtime UAD Processing — record through plug-ins from Lexicon, Studer, Manley, Ampex, UA, and more at near zero latency*
  • Unison™-enabled mic preamps and Hi-Z inputs (Apollo 8p and Apollo 8) for tracking through classic preamp emulations from Neve, API, and Universal Audio
  • Thunderbolt 2 audio interfaces (Mac only) allow cascading up to 4 Apollo interfaces and 6 UAD devices total over Thunderbolt
  • Includes “Realtime Analog Classics Plus” UAD plug-in bundle with 610-B Tube Preamp & EQ, Softube Amp Room, legacy LA-2A, 1176, and Fairchild compressors, Pultec EQs, and more

Apollo 8[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD] [/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[TABLE=width: 100%]

[TR]

[TR]

[TD] [TABLE=class: wysiwyg_table_wysiwyg_table_wysiwyg_table_ecxdevicewidth, width: 560, align: center]

[TR]

[TD]5d268358-c9c7-470c-9849-cdf6869afeb7.png[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[TR]

[TR]

[TR]

[TD] [TABLE=class: wysiwyg_table_wysiwyg_table_wysiwyg_table_ecxdevicewidthinner, width: 560, align: center]

[TR]

[TD]Now shipping worldwide, Apollo 8 (US$1,999 w/ UAD-2 DUO Processing; US$2,499 w/ UAD-2 QUAD Processing) features four Unison™-enabled mic preamps and Hi-Z inputs for tracking through classic preamp emulations from Neve, API, and Universal Audio. Also included are new convenient front panel monitoring functions such as Alt Speakers, Dim, and Mono.

Apollo 8p[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD] [/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[TR]

[TR]

[TD] [TABLE=class: wysiwyg_table_wysiwyg_table_wysiwyg_table_ecxdevicewidth, width: 560, align: center]

[TR]

[TD]7555abee-f99a-4261-8fda-3f27da8974a7.png[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[TR]

[TR]

[TR]

[TR]

[TD]Shipping in Q2, Apollo 8p (US$2,999 w/ UAD-2 QUAD Processing) features eight Unison™-enabled mic preamps and Hi-Z inputs, allowing recordists to track larger projects through classic preamp emulations from Neve, API, and Universal Audio. Apollo 8p also includes new convenient front panel monitoring functions such as Alt Speakers, Dim, and Mono.

Apollo 16[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD] [/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

fetch?id=31469300 [TABLE=width: 100%]

[TR]

[TR]

[TR]

[TR]

[TD]Shipping in Q2, Apollo 8p (US$2,999 w/ UAD-2 QUAD Processing) features eight Unison™-enabled mic preamps, allowing recordists to track larger projects through classic preamp emulations from Neve, API, and Universal Audio. Apollo 8p also includes new convenient front panel monitoring functions such as Alt Speakers, Dim, and Mono.

Apollo FireWire[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD] [/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

fetch?id=31469301 [TABLE=width: 100%]

[TR]

[TR]

[TR]

[TR]

[TD]Finally, Universal Audio is pleased to announce Apollo FireWire (US$1,999 w/ QUAD Processing). Shipping in Q2, Apollo FireWire continues to offer Windows and legacy FireWire Macs Apollo’s gold-standard A/D and D/A conversion, Realtime UAD processing, and 4 Unison™-enabled mic preamps for tracking through preamp emulations from Neve, API, and Universal Audio.

For high-resolution images, please visit:

uaudio.com/messepresse15

Learn more about the new line of Apollo audio interfaces:

uaudio.com/apollo

Learn more about award-winning UAD Powered Plug-Ins:

uaudio.com/uad-plug-ins.html[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

• Members

Nice looking unit with nice specs but UA is still limited to Mac users only. I realize PC's may never have Thunderbolt at this point and anyone wanting to use UA would have to make a Changeover.

It seems everything for macs comes at a premium and better suited for a profitable business model which can afford those additional

costs associated with those products. The questions still comes down to whether the product actually do a better job then its competition, and as we all know you're well within that gray area when it comes to actually making better recordings because so much of a recording comes from the guy using the gear, not the gear itself.

System Requirements

Thunderbolt Systems

UAD Powered Plug-Ins version 8

• Apple Mac computer with available Thunderbolt or Thunderbolt 2 port
  • Mac OS X 10.8.5 Mountain Lion, 10.9.x Mavericks, or 10.10.x Yosemite
  • 4 gigabytes available disk space
  • Internet connection to download software and authorize UAD plug-ins
  • Compatible VST, Audio Units, RTAS, or AAX 64 plug-in host DAW software
  • Thunderbolt cable (sold separately)

• Members

The premium paid for using Mac products for production, whether it is music, video or print, is worth it because of the ease of use and connect-ability. It truly is a plug and play system so it is about what you are trying to do with the computer and not the computer itself. A left brain / right brain thing, if you will.

Someone like WRGKMC, who has the technical ability and understanding to be able to deal with ASIO drivers etc, may not feel the grief associated with trying to optimize a Windows platform for audio but others, who just want to record without the hassles, do.

One of my bandmates bought a high end PC and an 18 channel USB interface. I tried to help him set it up (loading drivers etc) and we had a lot of problems - so many, in fact, that I thought it might be a hardware issue. I took the interface home to test it, plugged it into my MacBook, fired up the DAW and hit Record. My friend finally got so frustrated he ended up buying a Tascam stand alone unit - now he can stay focused on the music.

I have / use both Macs and PCs and it's definitely easier to install and set up both software and new hardware on the Mac than it is on the PC. OTOH, the PC is less expensive for something with the same level of processing power. There also tends to be more hardware and software offerings designed for use with a PC than a Mac. It's a trade off.

The good news? It's possible to do good work with either platform. :)

• Members

Mac was into the pro audio and video while PC's were still word processors and office machines. I used macs back in the early 90's doing video work while the best companies were using word perfect booting PC's off floppy disks.

Allot has changed over that time and I lived through it all in my day job from the earliest PC's to what we have today. Some of the cockeyed software and hardware has been astounding.

I think when I moved from Win 3.0 to win 95 and bought my first CD burner around 1995, I was running 1&2 Gig hard drives. That was a big deal because you could actually burn your own CD's. I'd take my multitrack tape stuff, mix it down to a computer and burn my own CD's which was pretty darn cool at the time. Of course burning at 2X normal speed was as slow as it gets, but what the heck.

Now I take for granted all the things I can do now and I'm still far from running the latest gear. It does what I need with zero troubles and I only upgrade when I need to.

On my day job I deal with all kinds of computerized gear and networking. I can navigate using a Mac but the mouse is what drives me nits. Its like "where's the extra buttons and scroll wheel" I cant work without those. There are other things too but its basically the same stuff. They give files different names and the architecture is different but that's kindergarten stuff to get around. Its a far cry from having to navigate some older primitive software and drives I've had to contend with. As a service tech I'd spend half my day just fixing stupid software glitches and the occasional blown network card. Most of the issues were people related. They couldn't find or install the right drivers or bought stuff that was beyond the computers capabilities.

I can navigate using a Mac but the mouse is what drives me nits. Its like "where's the extra buttons and scroll wheel" I cant work without those. There are other things too but its basically the same stuff.

I agree. I mean, I know the keyboard shortcuts just in case I find myself somewhere with my laptop and no mouse, but I normally use a three-button / center scrollwheel mouse with all my Macs. I find a single button mouse rather limited by comparison. The good news is that it's easy to use a better multibutton mouse with any modern Mac, and you can get a Logitech M325 wireless mouse for under $20.

• Members

I have the original Apollo 8, running via FW800.

I may add an 8p to my setup, there are also some subtle differences between the models, the original allows for switching between mic/ line from the front panel, and has dedicated line inputs.

UA has stated that until Microsoft supports TB on the kernal level, that TB on windows would require different drivers for each motherboard.

UA is a small company and doesn't have the resources for that kind of support.

Macs have had TB integrated since 2011, there are millions of potential customers.

Nice looking unit with nice specs but UA is still limited to Mac users only. I realize PC's may never have Thunderbolt at this point and anyone wanting to use UA would have to make a Changeover.

You may have missed this part of the press release:

Finally, Universal Audio is pleased to announce Apollo FireWire (US$1,999 w/ QUAD Processing). Shipping in Q2, Apollo FireWire continues to offer Windows and legacy FireWire Macs Apollo’s gold-standard A/D and D/A conversion, Realtime UAD processing, and 4 Unison™-enabled mic preamps for tracking through preamp emulations from Neve, API, and Universal Audio.

Windows users can use Firewire - no Thunderbolt required. :)

Archived