A cool article in EM by Michael Cooper on vocal editing...

• Members

Man I been doing my own vocal tracks that way for ages, ever since I could punch in parts on tape. I doubt I'd go so far as to doing 20 takes. 3 or 4 is about my limit and even then I like the pressure of old school punching in because it makes me focus on the parts that need fixing and not wearing myself out singing parts that don't need fixing.

I usually begin with a scratch vocal anyway because I'm usually writing the part as I go and I may wait awhile till I get better lyrics written or come up with some new ideas to add. I may redo the second take completely and then add my fixes but there have been many times where that first take has some magic there that came from pure inspiration that's hard to recreate.

Recording other vocalists it may be a bit more extensive. I have to judge what I can get from the singer, hear the drop off in feeling, power, inspiration when they peak and work with what I can get. Most of the time the first or second take are the best and its just a matter of pulling a few words from the other takes over.

I've actually worked with many great singers where those extra takes are a waste of time because they sing so well, you cant find flaws that need replacement. I do prefer to work with those kinds of professionals but we cant always be that lucky.

• Members

Wow...Pretty interesting article. Hundreds of edits....Pretty mind boggling. 'course I'm not a pro and I mostly have just done my own vocals and a few others...But My Lord...Did not even realize people actually put that kind of work into it. Again few outside a small circle of friends and family have ever even heard my stuff.

Gives me another level of respect for the folks that make their living recording folks.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Members

I typically have that many edits across all tracks, not just vocals. Otherwise good info. I wouldn't need to waste so much of my time on such things unless I was tracking the equivalent of let's say, a Manhattan Transfer, A Steely Dan or otherwise otherworldly type singers...background comps can definetely benefit from this technique...

Archived