Best portable platform for audio recording?

• Members

My 5 yr old Toshiba Satellite 17" laptop may get retired this fall, even tho i've updated it with Win 8 and an SSD. I really want a portable platform to use for audio editing/recording. I'm used to using quality DAWs on my desktop, so I'm curious about any recommendations peep have about a platform. I already own an iPad, so i have that option, but laptops are nice for heavy-duty stuff. I also use the iPad to manage songs and read/play Songbook music, so it may be hard to multitask with it.

I looked at ultrabooks on sites, but i wonder if they are sturdy? Netbooks are out since I have an iPad. I do like the heft of my 17" notebook in a way. I have DAW software I can put on a Windows laptop and interface with my desktop DAWs, primarily Sonar X3 and Reaper, and I may upgrade my Reason to ver 8. I may get a separate sound interface too.

So, does anyone that uses portable studios have any + or - to each of these platforms? Are ultrabooks too flimsy? And what about touch-screens for Win laptops... are they useful for any audio apps?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I'd ask how many track you need to record at one time when doing remote recording.

You can buy a stand alone cheaper then a laptop and interface. The problem with laptops are they only have one internal drive and you have additional latency running an external drive. If you only needed to record 4 tracks those hand held recorders do a pretty good job for live stuff. If you need 8 or 16 channels a stand alone might be the ticket. You can always dump the tracks on your desktop DAW for mixing and fine editing.

Something like this Zoom will allow you to record 8 tracks at a time and up to 24 tracks max before you need to start bouncing. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=708412&gclid=CPvDmo79psACFUVo7AodqSkAkg&Q=&is=REG&A=details

The other part is, when you track you aren't worried about booting a computer, using a mouse and all that crap. Tracking is as simple as it gets. Afterwards you can connect with a USB and pull the files over to mix. That's when the computer really does make a difference and mixing on the stand alone may not be sufficient.

My 5 yr old Toshiba Satellite 17" laptop may get retired this fall' date=' even tho i've updated it with Win 8 and an SSD. I really want a portable platform to use for audio editing/recording. I'm used to using quality DAWs on my desktop, so I'm curious about any recommendations peep have about a platform. I already own an iPad, so i have that option, but laptops are nice for heavy-duty stuff. I also use the iPad to manage songs and read/play Songbook music, so it may be hard to multitask with it.[/quote']

I know there are a couple of iPad DAW programs, but honestly I wouldn't want to do extensive editing on an iPad. I think a laptop would be better suited for that.

I looked at ultrabooks on sites, but i wonder if they are sturdy? Netbooks are out since I have an iPad. I do like the heft of my 17" notebook in a way.

And there's something to be said for having more screen real estate too - or at least I feel that way now that I'm a little older and my close distance vision isn't as good as it once was. :)

I have DAW software I can put on a Windows laptop and interface with my desktop DAWs, primarily Sonar X3 and Reaper, and I may upgrade my Reason to ver 8. I may get a separate sound interface too.

So, does anyone that uses portable studios have any + or - to each of these platforms? Are ultrabooks too flimsy? And what about touch-screens for Win laptops... are they useful for any audio apps?

Sorry, I'm not really up to date on the latest PC laptops; I am currently using a PC for my desktop machine, and a 15" MacBook Pro for my laptop. As far as touchscreens go, I'm not aware of any DAW applications that are designed specifically for them other than the iPad-based ones like Steinberg's Cubasis or Auria from WaveMachine Labs. Slate Digital makes some touchscreen based mixers too. I have not tried using Sonar with a touchscreen PC, but it might be fun to try it. I suppose it would be similar to interacting with an iPad based program.

BTW, Reason 8 looks pretty darned cool, and the upgrade price is currently only $129, regardless of which version you're upgrading from. :)

http://www.harmonycentral.com/news/propellerhead-unveils-reason-8-music-production-software

• Members

Why do you feel like you're behind the times? That seems like a fairly modern and capable mobile rig to me.

It seems that there are smaller, lighter and faster alternatives these days - recording to RAM instead of HD etc.

I'm even considering getting the ADAT interface for my old AW4416 which I still think is the cat's ass although mine has the old SCSI CD recorder so... well you know, to interface with the AudioBox.

I still like tracking with the 4416 and, even without the ease of use that a computer has, it is still a powerful editing tool although I do most of that in Reaper now.

Archived