Which Mics did the Beach Boys (Vocals) like to use in the studio ??

I've seen photographs with several different microphones, although the same three or four tend to show up in a lot of pictures. I have seen C-12's in Beach Boys vocal session pictures, although I don't know how often they were actually used. Brian apparently liked the Shure Unidyne III 545SD, and it was used quite a bit for lead vocals. U47's were regularly used for group BGVs. RCA DX77's were also often used, based on the photo evidence. The parts were often double-tracked, and sung with multiple people in the room singing simultaneously. No autotune, no individual tracks and fixes and post production mixing - the main secret to that sound is that they knew how to sing, they knew how to blend and "mix themselves" in the room (and their family/related voices worked so well together), and Brian was a brilliant arranger and producer.

Shure Unidyne III 545SD - and you can still get 'em for about $100.

AKG C-12, RCA 77 DX, Neumann U47 - no, you can't still get them for $100... ;)

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members
- the main secret to that sound is that they knew how to sing' date=' they knew how to blend and "mix themselves" in the room (and their family/related voices worked so well together), and Brian was a brilliant arranger and producer.[/quote']

[video=youtube;FPN53PHDwe4]

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Members
I've had my 545SD for so long now that I honestly don't remember when or where I got it. :lol:

I got mine for free! Freshman year of high school they were tossing out a bunch of old audio PA gear(got a Bogen PA head as well) and miss. I got three of the 545's but only one worked…I think it was brand new still in the box. The janitor let me take what I wanted.

• Members

I had a couple of the Unidyne III I used for vocals back in the day in Garage bands growing up.

I think I have one still in storage some place.

You can pick them up for chump change on EBay used and they still sell them for Under $100

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Shure-PE54D-Unidyne-III-Dynamic-Microphone-w-On-Off-Switch-/301380602813?pt=US_Pro_Audio_Microphones&hash=item462baf0bbd

To me they sounded like an SM57. Some sounded better then others depending on their condition.

Archived