Help Me Hang My DIY Acoustic Panels

• Members

Hey, so I built a couple of acoustic panels for my backwall. They're 6' (w) x 4' (h) x 4" (d). I haven't weighed them, but they're not light. I built a wooden frame around them, and they're backed by pegboard. Picture of one included. It's the big black rectangle behind the Bandmaster.

I want a little bit of separation between the wall and the panel. 3-4" should suffice. So here's where it starts to get tricky.

The walls have a chair rail around them. It's kinda nice in the sense that it helps me get that gap between the panel and the wall. BUT, what I'm particularly concerned about is how to hang them in a manner that doesn't put too much stress on the wall.

I was thinking about simply using my stud finder and screwing directly into the studs and hanging them onto the screws. But given that the screws won't be flush against the walls (they'll stick out about 3-4"), I'm afraid that there will be too much stress and they'll come out, taking a chunk of drywall and stud with them. Know what I mean?

What's a good way to hang a big panel like this on a wall, with a few inches of gap between the wall and the panel? One that won't tear the wall down in the process?

Thanks, forum!

e1933a40cf6954a78befc72dc42a16e7.JPG.9b1ff569092bc596c9bb211e45ea3992.JPG

• Members

Hmm ... yeah, that's a pretty good idea. I think maybe I'll attach some sort of horizontal "brace" along the top of the back of the panel. The only logistical problem there might come from figuring out a good way to attach it. I'm gonna hafta be careful about where I screw it in, 'cause there are already quite a number of screws in the back (in the corners from building the frame and along the edge for attaching the grill cloth). Measure twice, drill once, I suppose. Thanks for the idea! I think You're onto something.

I really like your use of foam back there. Cuts down on scuffs and scratches on the wall. Good trick!

• Moderators

Take a strip of 1 x 2 just short of your panel width. Take off one corner at 45 degrees, say ending at 3/4"" of the face of it. Make a 2nd identical to the first. Mount the first piece exactly where you want the panel left to right. Finding your studs you can move the piece to or fro either way, then screw into at least 2 studs. The long face faces outward and the trimmed face against the wall. Point the "hook" upward.. You're creating a long hook. Mount the 2nd piece on the panel the same but the hook points downward. Then just hang the panel piece on the wall piece. All the panel's weight is distributed along that whole wide trimmed 1x2. Use a spacer if it's too thin compared to your existing trim lower on the wall.

• Members

Thanks for all the ideas, guys. Lee I saw your post a little too late, so I went with something close to what Phil did. But Lee, reading your post game me the "no duh" idea. I should mark the "spacer" board BEFORE I attach it to the panel. So I don't have to measure my hooks while holding up an acoustic panel. Geez, sometimes I do stupid things. Anyway, with the spacer and the hook/eye attachment, I'm able to have about a 4.5 inch gap between the wall and the panel. Which is nice. Hooks are screwed directly into the studs. So I got some pretty beefy hooks. What do you think? Next, it'll be joined by 2x4 panels on either side. Then I'll tackle the corners.

6b2e50930560d4a9b5d8eb2560aaf240.JPG.1d81184e5643939e92b8fb6539d3b496.JPG

b2a9bcce23dddd205c26074736e16e9f.JPG.ae70378a6fd5547cf9bbad34c4ad9843.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

Archived