No announcement yet.

Getting permission

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting permission

Hi! My band is planning on making a demo. We do a lot of originals and public domain material, but we have one band member who only likes to sing fairly contemporary covers, of folks like John Mellencamp, Tom Petty, and Steve Earle.

I'm assuming we need permission to include any of their songs on a demo. Am I right? If I am, how hard is it? How expensive? Whom do we contact - the band, the label, the management agency?

Thanks!

Del
    Del
    www.thefullertons.net
    ( •)—:::
    Sent on my six-string jumbo ukelele

What are your plans for the demo? If you're just going to give it out for free to club owners, then you probably don't need to worry about it. However, if you have any plans of selling it, you should contact the Harry Fox Agency in NYC regarding getting a license.

http://www.harryfox.com/public/Mecha...icenseslic.jsp

You can often get a limited mechanical license (2,500 units or less) fairly easily and relatively inexpensively...

http://www.harryfox.com/public/songfile.jsp

"Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."

- George Carlin

"It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."

- Sir George Martin, All You Need Is Ears

"The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."

- Bob Lefsetz, The Lefsetz Letter

Comment

PS The band, the label and the manager usually have little to do with actual publishing... if all else fails, you should contact the publisher of the material you want to cover. Just because a band records a song and a label releases it doesn't automatically mean they own the copyright... the writer and publisher usually do.

"Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."

- George Carlin

"It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."

"The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."

Comment

Thanks, Phil - that's what I needed to know!

Del
        Del
        www.thefullertons.net
        ( •)—:::
        Sent on my six-string jumbo ukelele

Comment

Happy to help.

- George Carlin

Comment

hmmm nice band

Comment

Working...
            X