FREE Eventide plugin!

I've been using Eventide's TDM Anthology II bundle for several years now, and I'm a really big fan of it. Recently they have been porting over the various plugins from the bundle - one or two at a time - to native formats. I just saw a news release about the latest port, and this time, it's the excellent (and feature-heavy) Ultrachannel channel strip.

If you'd like to read the press release, with the details about the plugin, and details on how you can get it for free, you can find it here...

http://www.harmonycentral.com/news/31179915

The catch? The free downloads are only available for a limited time. Trust me - this is a very cool plugin. You're going to want this!

UltraChannel is available as a free download. Please copy and paste Access Code: 05E2272C and go here: http://bit.ly/UltraChannel through midnight July 8, 2014. After this promo ends, UItraChannel native will cost $249.

0c068cc0c0d64c0789141b61c998964e-551045a2.jpg

• Members

I see it's available in other formats -- that's good for us non-PT folks -- but while it doesn't require an iLok dongle, it does require the iLok Manager software.

I've always avoided all iLok related stuff and really do NOT like stuff running in background.* But I assume this does. Is that true?

*Not only is it a threat to system stability and performance, I find it intellectually offensive, since much of it is a result of corporate arrogance or developer sloth.

Yes, you need to have the iLok software, but not the dongle - you can put the authorization on your local computer instead of on the dongle if you wish, or on the iLok itself if you have one. As far as it being a resource hog, it really isn't, but if you object to the idea of any sort of copy protection, then you should probably pass on this offer.

I have tons of plugins that require the iLok, so I just bite the bullet and deal with it. So far, I have not had any iLok related problems or issues... knock on wood. I know that hasn't been the case for everyone, but it's never been a problem for me.

• Members

I got some more time to use that plugin this weekend. Last time I tried it was just using some presets in the Buss.

I did a lot more tweaking this time trying to achieve optimal results. Most of that new plugin feel you have when you first get it has dissipated. I can see this one is going to take more time to refine my results. I tried the plugin in an A/B comparison with it against Voxengo Voxformer and it didn't do as well. Not real impressed with the echo and the chorus seems to be a one trick pony. Class Chorus and Voxengo Tempo delays are both free and will do a much better job.

I tried it on drums again, and after I had tweaked the hell out of it, I saw no progress over the plugin bypassed. I compared it to using Ozone in the same buss and could get much better results. Not exactly a 1:1 comparison of course but and it was only tried on a few songs. Others may do better.

I also tried it on the mains buss after the instrument busses and its not so hot, or I should say too hot for mastering. It does not work well running the plug in series with another instance if the first instance. For someone who has no mastering plugins it may suffice, but It wouldn't be my first choice mastering with this one.

The comps aren't bad, but they don't sound the same as any of the other comps I use. one comp seems to be a bit too mushy and the O presser seems to be too hard. I tried using normal setting I use with other comps and I just wasn't getting what I needed. The EQ is very good. I think its better then Sonars stock compressor in the mids and highs so I will likely get some use from it.

Overall, the plugin isn't bad and the few songs I did use it on may not have been the best choices. I really need to build some of my own presets. You do get spoiled using other plugins for long periods because you build many plugins and know where they will get you. I'm not a huge fan of multi plugin packages however. Instead of doing one thing really well, they do a bunch of things mediocre and you have to use each plugin separately for a long enough period of time to know its capabilities before you start stringing them together. You also tend to use more than what's needed which I'm sure was my case using it this weekend.

I think If I just think I need to try the plugs one at a time in an A/B comparison to if they are really any better then what I do have. If thay aren't better separately then its not going to be better using several of them strung together.

• 2 months later...
  • Members

I still been using the plugin and have had more time to experiment with it. Lately I been using it with guitars on some carefully tweaked settings I built. I've had a chance to use it on live drums more and they benefit from the plugins peppy sound quality. I was originally using it with canned drums which really didn't need any additional processing so it got me no where using it.

I've also built some better vocal presets from the stock ones and its getting better for tweaking vocals.

I still have to try using it with bass more and see if I can find it useful there. So far I haven't been able to get it to do what I want on the deep notes. It may just be a matter of spending enough time dialing in the settings but it's presets seem to target frequencies higher then I normally use so it will likely require me to build things up from scratch. All the presets rob too much actual tone. I may benefit by using it in a buss and just running some of the sound through it.

In all, in comparison to other comps/limiters I use, the plugin does quite a bit of hiss/noise, much like a budget hardware comp can when you juice them. You can get rid of it with careful tweaking but I have better option for slamming tracks when needed. Used mildly it's fine and is good for bright crispy stuff.

Archived