No announcement yet.

The 10 Most Technically Amazing Beatles Songs

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The 10 Most Technically Amazing Beatles Songs

An interesting list from Brian Kehew - the author of Recording The Beatles... do you agree with it, and if not, what songs would you include in the top ten?

http://www.mojo4music.com/14018/10-m...beatles-songs/

"Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."

- George Carlin

"It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."

- Sir George Martin, All You Need Is Ears

"The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."

- Bob Lefsetz, The Lefsetz Letter

Technically Yes, I'd say they are all up there. I'm not sure I'd use his pecking order because the final results when combined with the music are all that matter.
    I'd say Day in the life and I am a Walrus are a couple of my favorites because I like the music and the technical aspects. Revolution 9 isn't what I'd call music its more of a collage of sound effects so even though it may be technically interesting, I don't classify it as being music. Its more like a movie sound effects track to me. Its not something you'd whip up in the back of your mind as being a song.

Good Morning on the Sargent Peppers album is both advanced technically and a good tune to boot. It had some nice effects added and cool stereo panning which was new in its time.All you need is love was a big hit and had many interesting dubs added in on the very long fade out from 1940's big band stuff to cellos. I'm not sure how technically difficult it was but they were doing a film version to coincide with the album which can make things allot tougher to plan.

Paperback writer was earlier stuff but the things they did compressing the bass were very unique for their time. I read Paul would compress his bass at leat three or more times to get that sound. Allot can be learned today from what he did then. Hey Jude is another masterpiece and considering they only had 4 tracks to record with it its an amazing piece that pushed the limits of that technology and probably hasn't been matched by any band before of since.

There's nothing super notable technically I can think of in the song, but It does show how the bands adapts their creativity to the given technology. This is the biggest factor I see with many songs that band recorded. They pushed the limits of their musical creativity and recording technology. But hey, they were the Beatles. Its said the mixer made 25 lbs per hour and the studio only made 1000 lbs total. That's chicken feed considering the song was the biggest money maker for a studio ever and went gold in 3 weeks. That studio did make a butt load of money afterwards promoting that song had been recorded there. The song ran for 7:11 minutes which was the longest running single until 1999 when meatloaf did a song that ran 7:58. That was FM radio however which was a very different format.

The song did have a collage of editing parts in it but I'm not sure it classifies as being the most technical. Id say it was one of the toughest to record because the bands temperament was in bad shape

Comment

John Lennon said that "Revolution 9" represented the future of music where producers would be stringing loops together instead of playing instruments.

I believe that "Hey Jude" was recorded on eight-tracks at Trident Studios. I like the way the vocal from the bridge is edited into the verse at one point in that song.
      Last edited by onelife; 04-30-2014, 10:36 PM.
      who you are in the world depends on the opinions of others - that is not important

what is important is who you are within yourself

Comment

^^^ You're right. The write up on Wiki was a little twisted. They did several 4 track takes at apple because thats all that studio had at the time and planed
        on doing the full master at Trident. It would have been tough getting a 36 piece orchestra on a 4 track recording with the band, but even with 8 tracks its still and amazing work.

I'd like to hear the 4 track version thats on their Anthology 3 album that was from their Apple sessions.

My X has a bunch of albums from Japan that were likely made from those Tapes that were recently found. She was a nut on the Beatles
        and had all these bootleg imports. Many had multiple takes of raw sessions with the band talking between cuts. I remember there were a bunch of
        Raw Let it Be album tracks like My Me My, Two of Us, one after 909 etc and you could hear how they'd start a song stop then start over joking in between
        the takes. It pretty much makes you realize they worked up songs just like every other band does. Plus when you compare the raw tracks to the masted versions,
        you have an instant comparison to how much studio production was applied to make those songs sound as good as they did along with any additional effects.

Hearing Paul and John sing together with a dry mix is quite special because they did sing very well even without the additional effects.
        The amazing thing is the basic tracks didn't have anything stellar about the sound quality you wouldn't hear in a raw studio recording today.
        You realize It was their musical talent and music, and musical arrangements that made that band great. The studio stuff just just elevated
        them from a great band to great sounding band. The truth is, if the talent isn't there to begin with, you got nothing.

Comment

• AJ6stringsting
          AJ6stringsting commented
          Editing a comment
          That's why today's music, producers and musicians are not up to snuff to the music made between 1964 to 1992.
          If an artist didn't do to good on a take, he would work things out with his band mates and hammer it out until it was perfect. Today, they just Cakewalk / Pro tool it ( glue and paste it ) to death, they just send the band out to play video games in the lobby or something ( Blink 182 much .... LOL !!!).
          I would have loved to be a fly on the wall at the sessions for Rubber Soul, Revolver, Sergeant Pepper, Magical Mystery Tour or the White Album !!!!
          Last edited by AJ6stringsting; 08-24-2014, 05:13 PM.

We are all fortunate that their music was recorded so well.

When the "Let It Be" movie came out I was amazed at how much like my own band they were. The difference being that they were very good but they were just four guys (five counting Billy) in a band.

They also thad the big money record machine behind every musical whim - where you or I might find a nice riff or some cool changes to groove on for while, quite often our ideas may be lost in a few hours or deemed (by ourselves) to be unworthy of a full blown production such as "Wild Honey Pie" or "Why Don't We Do It In The Road?".
        who you are in the world depends on the opinions of others - that is not important

Comment

Originally posted by onelife View Post

They also thad the big money record machine behind every musical whim - where you or I might find a nice riff or some cool changes to groove on for while, quite often our ideas may be lost in a few hours or deemed (by ourselves) to be unworthy of a full blown production such as "Wild Honey Pie" or "Why Don't We Do It In The Road?".
          As long as those whims kept bringing money into the machine, they were going to be afforded all the "artistic license" they wanted. Had the experimentation of Sgt. Pepper been a commercial flop, I doubt there would have been much tolerance from the machine at all for things like the Magical Mystery Tour TV-special or the let's-jam-and-call-it-a-song experimentations on the double-LP "White Album".
          https://www.facebook.com/JumpStartYourParty
          http://www.weddingwire.com/biz/jumps...587fe5f12.html

Comment

Not only were these songs so amazingly influential but the techniques used to record them as well.
            Both the song writing and production techniques still stand as heights of achievement.

A revolution of sonics..
            Artist Quality Synth Presets - VintageSynthPads.com

Comment

Originally posted by Zalvador Dalí View Post
              Not only were these songs so amazingly influential but the techniques used to record them as well.
              Both the song writing and production techniques still stand as heights of achievement.

A revolution of sonics..
              Geoff Emerick was one of the first to close mic a drum kit.

He needed to do it for clarity on "Tomorrow Never Knows" because by the time they got around to putting the drum track down there was already a lot going on.

Comment

I believe not only technical skills are required for best recording of a song but experiments & proper planning are also matters. After combination of all these things a good song is created.

Comment

Came across this about the Hard Days Night film and picked up a few items I hadn't known about.

https://music.yahoo.com/blogs/music-...022345865.html

Comment

To be honest I do not know if I could pick 10. I love so many hits by them it is crazy!

Comment

Originally posted by zinsavage123 View Post
                      To be honest I do not know if I could pick 10. I love so many hits by them it is crazy!
                      I know what you mean.It's easier to pick the ones you DON'T like...And for me that's a minscule list..Not even a list really...
                      www.soundcloud.com/alamojoe

www.soundcloud.com/vomiteers

Comment

Wow this place is dead.

I started reading the article but it's distracting to see things that don't quite make sense. For example, the vocal melody in "Because" is not an arpeggio. At least I don't think it's an arpeggio...

Comment

What made the Beatles so special, it was their philosophy, that the sky was not the limit !!!!
                          Guns don't kill people .... Fathers with beautiful Daughters do !!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Zooey View Post
                            Wow this place is dead.

I started reading the article but it's distracting to see things that don't quite make sense. For example, the vocal melody in "Because" is not an arpeggio. At least I don't think it's an arpeggio...
                            An arpeggio or "broken chord" is playing the notes in a chord one at a time. Melody is usually made from elements of scales and/or arpeggios.

For the most part, the vocal melody of "Because" is based on the notes in the different chords being sung one at a time. The keyboard introduction is made up of arpeggios too.

Last edited by onelife; 08-04-2014, 12:43 AM.

Comment

Working...
                            X