Best Audio Interface & Control Surface for Logic Pro 9/X???

• Members

I recently had my old audio interface/control surface (Alesis MasterControl) die. needless to say, it's time for new gear. Do any of you have recommendations as to the gear that works best with Logic on the Mac? I've heard horror stories about virtually all the USB/FW interfaces out there, and I'm looking for some good real world hands-on advice. Thank you in advance for your replies!

Hi John... can you please tell us a bit more about what you need in an interface as far as features? Especially the input / output channel counts you need.

At the moment, I am unaware of anyone who makes a combo interface and control surface in one like the old Alesis MasterControl or Tascam FW-1884. In fact, control surfaces in general seem to not be getting a lot of attention from manufacturers lately. Behringer has a new line of controllers due to come out soon (early this summer?), but beyond that, not much seems to be going on. You may have to go for two separate units - an interface and a controller.

• Members

Phil,

Thanks for the response. I've already figured I'm going to have to get two different units (unless I want to spend $5K on that nifty new SSL gadget). Audio: 4-8 preamps, ADAT in, ability to control multiple monitor pairs, decent headphone amp(s), etc. I've been looking hard at the Apogee Quartet (made for Mac, high quality everything) and the Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 & Liquid 56 (or maybe one of the Scarlett USB models). I've heard glowing things about the Apogee, and mixed reviews of the Focusrite stuff (as they relate to Mac/Logic). Control: sure looks like the Mackie Control is the surface of choice, especially when it comes to Logic.

Anyway, I appreciate the response, and look forward to everyone's opinions.

• Members

A Digital Mixer may do both. You may want to check the Presonus stuff. They intergrade with the DAW software, but I'm

not sure they will intergrade with Logic, or if they only work with their own software that works best.

I've got a couple of interfaces either here or on their way here for review at the moment - a UA Apollo Twin, and one from Focusrite. I'll try to let you know what I think once I get a chance to use them a bit. I will definitely be using my MacBook Pro for the majority of the testing. The Apollo Twin is currently Mac-only, so I have no choice there. It doesn't have as many mic preamps as you said you needed John, but maybe the rack version of the Apollo would suit your needs? It sounds like it has all the features you're looking for. I'm not sure how well it does with Logic - I haven't really used Logic since they said so long to the PC users many years ago - but it's definitely an interface that I'd recommend considering.

• Members

In general USB and Firewire work well on Macs.

I have an Apollo Duo, running over FW800, currently using Logic Pro X, and the Logic Remote app for iPad as a control surface.

Need more info on your system, and do you have a treated space for your studio?

• Members

Phil, the Mac I have is an iMac w/ FW800 -- no Thunderbolt. 21.5", Core 2 Duo, 3.06 GHz. I started looking at Logic Remote for iPad, and it seems to turn the iPad into a pretty cool remote control surface. I wonder if anyone here has experience with that... The search for the audio interface continues. I will be waiting to read your reviews, and thanks for the responses!

• Members

I mostly use the key command buttons when composing and recording.

I use it to record automation, it can also display smart controls for automating synth an effects settings.

It's multi-touch, so you can control more than one fader.

The integrated users manual is a killer feature.

• Members

Look at metric halo. Seriously great interfaces with great support. Their original 2882 is still supported and being produced. Almost 14 years later. Not many companies can claim that. And on top of that they have previewed an upgrade that will work with all of their interfaces. It's a new USB card that will replace the current FireWire card, add more DSP, ethernet interconnectivity, and be USB class compliant. So it will work with osx, windows, Linux, and ios. Yes I will be upgrading my 2882 as soon as possible.

• 2 years later...

Archived