PRO sound card wanted!

Hi Sleepin' Deeper... I've heard good things about those (Lynx) cards, but I have not heard them yet. But in that price range, I'd definitely consider looking at a RME Hammerfall or some of the Frontier Designs cards, depending on what features I needed. ;)

Which leads to the question - what are you going to need insofar as I/O? Do you already have outboard converters or do you need those? Please tell us a bit more about your current setup and what you'd like to be able to do. :)

• Members

Originally posted by Phil O'Keefe

Hi Sleepin' Deeper... I've heard good things about those (Lynx) cards, but I have not heard them yet. But in that price range, I'd definitely consider looking at a RME Hammerfall or some of the Frontier Designs cards, depending on what features I needed.
;)

Which leads to the question - what are you going to need insofar as I/O? Do you already have outboard converters or do you need those? Please tell us a bit more about your current setup and what you'd like to be able to do.
:)

Currently all my synths / mics go into my Allen & Heath Mix wizard 16ch. When I want to record audio into the computer (Cubase SX2), I use the aux sends in my mixer. I record one track at a time, so I really only need one stereo input on the soundcard.

For monitoring, I also have a stereo out coming from the soundcard into my mixer. Would I get better audio quality if I were to forego the mixer entirely? I

• Members

I am driving a *MixWizard 16:2DX* into a pair of M-Audio *Delta-1010s*. It is a 5-year old design that I have been very happy with. I like the "out board converter" approach, since it keeps them out of the CPU and away from internal digital interference. The MixWizard's channel strips are very clean, for the price. I track a -96dB noise level off the Direct Outs. One of my favorite things is being able to record 16-channels live and driving only the channels I want to FOH.

Even though the *Delta 1010* can be purchased around $430, I think there are better options available these days. The RME series is always highly touted. I have been eyeing the MOTU 24IO (around $1500), which would allow me to drive 16 channels off the MixWizard and still have 8 channels for DI stuff. The MOTU 2408mk3 has 8 analog channels for around $650. And, it has both ADAT lightpipe and Tascam TDIF digital connections. The older *mkII* had "dark" converters. But, these newer units sound much nicer.

When I started multitracking, I couldn't imagine needing more than 2 channels. Then, I mic'd up a drum kit -- 7 channels. That's when I bought the second Delta!

It all depends on what you want to do... and, what experiences you've had with certain brands. By the way, what is your PC like? I helped someone debug a problem that went down to his VIA'686B series motherboard.

• Members

question: I have a Lynx L22 and while i thinkit was a step up from my Delta 44 - i still believe there is room for improvement. this talk about clocks has me wondering. why would i need an external clock? can i use one with the L22? would it improve sound quality at all?

thanks for any help!

Archived