Using a light instead of a click?

• Members

Nice to be here in the new digs. That other recording forum kinda sucked, huh?;)

Anyhow, I have a band coming in today that wants to do something I'd never thought of. I was asking the band about their experience with a clicktrack, and the drummer said he'd never used one, but that they practiced with the blinking light from a drum machine as a sort of click. They're going to bring it, and I'm going to try it -- if it has a midi input, I'll be smiling, but either way.

Ever use light instead of click?

• Members

No, but I have thought about trying to use the earphone output of an electronic metronome to trigger one or more LED's, strategically placed. Hasn't been a high priority so far, but I'll get around to it eventually. For me this would be a live sound application for bands that do not use IEM's, but wanted/needed a click track.

• Members

Originally posted by kayak

No, but I have thought about trying to use the earphone output of an electronic metronome to trigger one or more LED's, strategically placed. Hasn't been a high priority so far, but I'll get around to it eventually. For me this would be a live sound application for bands that do not use IEM's, but wanted/needed a click track.

Wow...my band needs to try that. Our drummer uses a Dr. Beat live and watches the light (more for guidance on a "home" tempo for a song, since push and pull some parts), but it would be very helpful to make it visible to the rest of us...I sometimes stand by him and try to watch it but then I look silly.

• Members

His thingy didn't have midi in. Oh well. Session worked anyhow, no click.

But it did make me think that the light thing would be a gentle compromise on the click issue. There must be a DJ light that can take MTC and start/stop info, yeah?

• Members

Originally posted by where02190

...if you need that click for overdubbing you're obviously screwed.

Well, you could both run a click light and record a click track at the same time. In future overdubs, the click track could be used to trigger the click light.

• Members

Hmmm...in theory, but I suspect the human latency of using the light would not in practice make this work all too well.

You could however if you used a click to trigger the light, record the click, and slip it forward to compensate for the latency, and use the audible click for overdubs.

• Members

Originally posted by kayak

No need to MacGyver it:

bti.jpg

Beat Indicator

The Beat Indicator contains an ultra bright LED that can be programmed to flash on the beat in response to MIDI Clock messages. An invaluable tool for enabling drummers or live musicians to keep time with MIDI sequences during breaks or intros. The flash can be advanced or delayed by up to 128 ms from the actual beat, and the brightness of the flash is programmable. The Beat Indicator can also be programmed to flash in response to a Note or Control Change message.

The Beat Indicator is MIDI-powered, and requires no batteries or power supply to operate with most products

• Members

Originally posted by zeronyne

No need to MacGyver it:

Interesting... though one thing I was going to do to help avoid the latency and general hypnotism that occurs when staring at a single blinking light is make a sequence of lights that would light up in turn..maybe with a little switch for alternate time signautres like 3 and 5.

• Members

Originally posted by zeronyne

No need to MacGyver it:

bti.jpg

Too bad I didn't find that a week ago. Would have made synching to my sequencer a hell of a lot easier.

For what it's worth, the guy did use a blinking metronome, not synched to anything from me. And his time was excellent. A lot more breath than if he'd been on a click, but never in a bad way.

I'm thinking I'm going to rig this up for those drummers who can't take a click.

• CMS Author

Originally posted by TimmyP

Careful with the tempo when using a blinking light. At the right frequency it can trigger seizures in a small percentage of the population (epileptics mainly).

Cool, I'll have to try that some time. ;)

I've had a Sabine Zipbeat metronome for years that has 8 LED's that will either flash one or will sweep to make it easier to anticipate the beat. If you don't want the 'click', just plug in a dummy 1/8" at the headphone jack.

Archived