What's your preferred reverb plugin?

• Members

Like i said... plugin. I used Timeworks, Sonitus, Lexicon Pantheom, Waves Trueverb, Cakewalk, Soundforge, Glaceverb and never i have been 100% satisfied with any of those.

What's your preferred reverb plugin?

• Members

Concerning the early reflection component on the larger topic of reverb(s) I'm currently working out with Wave Arts Panorama (algorithmic) and Voxengo Pristine Space (convolution).

Panorama explicitly allows for HRTF settings but both tools feature the facility to set early reflections in a binaural manner (assuming stereo impulses in P.S.) which simulates some of the the normal combing that our own heads encounter out in 3D open space.

I'm using those to rebalance some live mixes where one channel was a feed straight off the board from close-mics and the sound is all up front and in your face - you know what I mean...

• Members

www.artsacoustic.com for an extremely versatile algorithmn reverb. The GUI on this is fantastic, and I wish all plugin makers would take note.

Convolution reverbs are useful, and SIR is as good as anything else, if you have the same impulses. Obviously some of the expensive ones have exclusive libraries which might make them worth the purchase.

Other high quality algorithm plugins are:

R66 - capable of gorgeous Lexicon-ish effects, dog to program

PSP Easyverb - don't let the easy interface fool you, it can sound great

Princeton 2016 - took me a while to appreciate this - it's a Room reverb. As soon as you make it sound like a hall or big space, the sproing, oing, oing will annoy you. Or maybe not. But for small rooms it's very good, even at 100% wet.

Silverspike R2 - excellent early refelections, not so keen about the tail, but very useful.

• Members

Originally posted by squealie

While on this subject, what plugin offers the classic GATED REVERB like the old Alesis and Lexicon boxes had?

A few, like the excellent freebie Magnus Ambiance, have gating built in. But, I highly recommend that you use a seperate gate plugin if you really want this effect. Maybe a midi gate, if its midi triggered, or an audio gate. That gives you the ability to control the shape and duration much more accurately.

• Members

I use an impulse response reverb plugin called "SIR". It's freeware and sounds amazing (depending on the IRs you have).

I would really recommend it. I use it everytime i work on sounddesign.

When it comes to mixing i use an outboard Lexicon PCM91

• Members

Originally posted by maxmartin

I use an impulse response reverb plugin called "SIR". It's freeware and sounds amazing (depending on the IRs you have).

I would really recommend it. I use it everytime i work on sounddesign.

When it comes to mixing i use an outboard Lexicon PCM91

So do you add reverb to individual tracks and then again to the whole mix durig mixdown?

• Members

I've used just about every type of reverb except a true chamber and, aside from actual ambient reverb, I've never been completely happy with any of them.

I was so reverb starved by my skimpy rig in the 80s -- I started off using the 'verb from my guitar amp I was so hardup for 'verb, later migrating to an Orban spring unit that was pretty, well, springy... or maby sprongy -- that, when I got my first digital verb (an Alesis Microverb around the late, late 80s) I went nuts for a while and eventually decided reverb -- at least noticeable reverb -- was usually fairly annoying. Still, you generally need some to hold the typical overdubbed multitrack 'together' sonically and to that end I gathered a number of mid-priced digi-verbs from Lexicon, Alesis, Digitech (the old TSR24), etc. I think I have 6 multi-boxes gathering dust (but I have 3 of them in my main rack, just to be on the safe side).

My collection of verb plugs is more limited (I don't do cracks). I have the Lex Pantheon, which I initially didn't like (too 'creamy') but that I'm warming up to as I explore more subtle uses of it, some CW/Sonar 'verbs, the Edirol Sonitus verb that comes in the plug package that shipped with Sonar 4PE, which I really like for the control, and a number of sometimes quirky, often kind of cool in a spot-use kind of way free plugs.

What I'd really like to get a hold of would be a good spring guitar reverb simulator plug... (that sounds like an unattainable grail, to me, since I'm one of those stick in the muds who doesn't think guitar amp sims don't sound anything like amps)

Don't get me wrong, I seldom try recording DI, typically using my Blues Jr or my Lexicon Signature 284 'recording head' (it has an analog speaker sim that doesn't sound like a speaker but is better than nothing -- and the digital sims I've heard)... but the spring verb in my Blues Jr is absolutely unusable because of the noise in that impedance-mismatched circuit (my guess as to the cause, it sounds like a pit of snakes and the snakes that aren't hissing at the top of their lungs [or whatever organ snakes have] are humming at multiples of 60 Hz. Never trust anything from Fender with a power chord. But then, again, I hate the sound of most guitar amps even worse and the BJr is tolerable except for that freaking 'verb noise issue.)

• Members

Bluewater:

No...not really.

I use e.g. some Reverb on distant sound effects as a sound design reverb.

After the playback is finished and all instruments are recorded i go to mixdown on a console where i use the PCM91 for Vocals etc. or whereelse i need it

Never use reverb on the main stereo signal

• Members

I'm sure thats true.. It's just something i'd never do.. theres just a few things i'd almost never want verb on..

i rarely would want verb on Hat's, bass, kick, ect.. only for drastic effects/transitions.. even if i did want verb on them it would still be on a aux send..

i know i should say "never say never" but verb just something i just hate hearing to much of.

• Members

I think it's a given that any reverb over a mix would be hi-passed and lo-passed to remove the mud and sizzle.

A lot of people like to use a single reverb over a mix to give the sense of a unified space. Obviously depends on the genre. And doesn't have to left on all the time.

• Members

What I'd really like to get a hold of would be a good spring guitar reverb simulator plug... (that sounds like an unattainable grail, to me, since I'm one of those stick in the muds who doesn't think guitar amp sims don't sound anything like amps)

Grab yourself a free copy of SIR (you might need a VST wrapper to go with that). Then download the free spring reverb impulses from www.echochamber.ch

While your at it - grab some of the free guitar cabinet impulses from www.noisevault.com I too am fairly unhappy with DI guitar and amp modeling, but try out the free Marshal amp from www.simulanalog.com, and run that through SIR with a cabinet impulse, or maybe a spring reverb impulse.

Or - I haven't tried it yet - but the free Boogex from www.voxengo.com comes with a convolution processor so you can do amp sim and convolution in one plugin. I'm generally a big fan of Voxengo stuff, otherwise I wouldn't normally suggest something I haven't tried yet.

Amazing what's free in PC VST land ...

• Members

Kiwiburger: SIR is great! The new version features an EQ now too.

It's quite simple to use and there are not many knobs and faders to fool around.

But sometimes things just sound good. Without the need to change everything.

I think it would only work with VST. It's some German guy who developed the plugin and doesn't charge anything.

• Members

Just to let you know, I am doing a comprehensive reverb test lab in my studio today, where I'm testing many reverbs, including a few of the best rated reverbs I've found on the web!

I will of course report the test results here later and post sound clips... :)

• Members

I think the reverb effect you want is "nonlinear," not gated. It's similar, but the classic AMS, Lexicon and Alesis reverbs had a nonlinear effect. It's different that just adding a gate to the output of a room. As far as plug-ins with that effect, I have no idea. But's it's a cool sound.

Archived