Pres to ADC to Box - headphone mix?

• Members

Greetings all,

I've been a long time lurker at the old place, i figured a new forum would be a good time to come out of my shell.

I mainly record depresed housewives, small folk groups, angry lesbians and Shania wannabes.

I am looking to pick up a pair of decent pres (maybe a pair of clean pres and a pair of colored pres) and at least a two channel ADC to go directly into an RME HDSP. Right now I use the onboard pres on my 01v, this allows me to set up a nice headphone mix for vocalists (verb, delay etc) using the omni outs to a HA4700.

If I move to an outboard pre and ADC, what is the best way to get a headphone mix set up? Do I use the RMEs mix engine to route inputs to outputs and use the 01v and a big headphone mixer? Are there converters that split the signal from SDIPF/Lightpipe, etc to mirror balanced analog outs?

Thanks.

• Members

Doesn't the 01v have SPDIF I/O? or ADAT I/O?

You didn't mention which DAW...but aren't you using the 01v as a direct monitor right now?..I assume your monitors are connected to the Yamaha?

It won't change with an outboard pre or ADC...

I don't know which ADC or pres you are looking at but the routing will be straight forward..

Regardless of how you get TO the RME...you will be monitoring out of it (RME) through the 01v...(monitors)

Same as now (I presume)

Cheers bro..

P&B,

• Members

Yes I direct monitor from the 01v and my monitors are connected to the 01v. THis makes it nice because I can add verb the singers mix without introducing any noticeble latency.

I guess what I would be doing is using the RME's near zero monitoring to send the SPDIF input to a cue mix and out a pair of adat channels back into the 01v so that I could still add verb to the singer's cans.

I'm looking at a few different pres right now I probably won't make a purchase for a couple more months - after auditioning several different signal chains.

BTW - nice looking studio - looks relaxing.

Thanks

-dcwave

Archived