Please name the one (famous) producer and / or engineer...

...that you think, or that others have told you, that the sound of your work most closely approximates.

And if it's different, the one engineer / producer that you wish your work more closely approximates.

And if different still, the one producer and / or engineer that you most highly admire. The reasons for your admiration could be whatever you want - sound, work ethic, financial success, personality... whatever.

Please state the reasons for your answers. :)

(I think this might be interesting).

PS In the off chance that anyone was considering it, thanks anyway, but I do NOT want to show up on anyone's lists - I'm not "famous". :)

• Members

In the studio, I wish I could sound more like Tim McGraw and Byron Gallimore. I think their stuff sounds amazing. Produced, but not overly produced.

Live, I'd kill to mix like Robert Scovill. I go see bands I don't even like (TP) just to hear him mix.

• Members

I like the "rootsy-ness" of Gus Dudgeon's productions with Elton John. Of course he was working with one talented band.

Have you seen the video where he was talking about hanging a gutted shell of an acoustic piano upside-down above Eltons piano to get a better piano sound?

http://mixonline.com/recording/interviews/audio_gus_dudgeon/

• Members
Originally posted by Phil O'Keefe

...that you think, or that others have told you, that the sound of your work most closely approximates.

You know, I don't think anyone's ever told me that I remind them of someone else sonically in terms of how I engineer.

Hopefully how I do it is "transparent" (in other words, they sound like themselves).

And if it's different, the one engineer / producer that you wish your work more closely approximates.

There's so many great engineers and producers...hmmmmm.....

Daniel Lanois: I not only like his atmospheres and sounds and ideas, but what I think he does is really pull great performances and emotion from the artists that he works with, and that's such a great gift to have. He also makes it easy for the artist to experiment, setting up lots of things ahead of time so if the artist says, "Hey, I wonder what this guitar would sound like through a different amp?", Daniel would say, "Well, I have 4 other amps set up already, so we could go see what it sounds like."

And if different still, the one producer and / or engineer that you most highly admire. The reasons for your admiration could be whatever you want - sound, work ethic, financial success, personality... whatever.

Daniel Lanois, Steve Albini, Brendan O'Brien, anybody who has anything to do with NIN's sound, Brian Eno, whoever worked on Bad Company's stuff, Andy Johns, Bruce Swedien, Mark Howard, whoever did Innocence Mission "Glow", and probably a whole lot more that I'm leaving out.

PS In the off chance that anyone was considering it, thanks anyway, but I do NOT want to show up on anyone's lists - I'm not "famous".
:)

I haven't heard enough of your engineering, but what I have heard does sound really great. And I think you rule on a whole lotta different levels. Who cares about being famous. If you're doing great work and bringing artists' emotional statements and visions to life and making them happy, then you're doing a great job as an engineer or producer.

• Members

I can't say that anyone has told me my tracks sound like his (for good reason) but I've always deeply admired Lee "Scratch" Perry, who was deeply influential on the development of reggae music and pretty much invented dub music.

Perry worked with primitive equipment and severe limitations and budgets in his heyday and yet was a continuously inventive, resourceful producer whose influence spread far out from reggae to lay the foundation for dub and dance remixing around the world.

• Members

I've never really thought of "Producer heroes", but the first thing to pop into my head is that I really admire Teo Macero's work with Miles Davis, especially now that you can hear the "Complete Session" box sets and realize what brilliant work it took to consolidate all of that outstanding raw material into an LP format.

• Members

i was never too big a fan of anyone wearing the "producer" hat, and i prefer to have the band be in charge of their songs and their art. if it sucks, that's their fault. they should have worked harder on it. i've got no business telling people they need an acoustic guitar or a cowbell to gel the song. if there's something like a really wrong chord, though, i'll address it. maybe i'm just hardcore into the whole "recordist" or "engineer" thing and those are kind of the exact opposites of what people consider a "producer".

as far as engineers, i've always been a fan of steve albini, chad clark, don zientara, the pelliccis, al sutton, roger bechirian, and some of j. robbins' work (mainly the last dismemberment plan record, but not really a majority of his resum

• Members

as far as who i would like to take after in the studio, i'd probably take the candid answer of "steve albini". not because i make records that sound like steve albini records. more because i like to focus on capturing the band's preformance to the absolute best of my ability, no matter who they are or what they pay me. i like organic sounds. guitar, amp, mic, preamp. i like the room to play in as a large factor. i also admire his heavy do-it-yourself ethic in all forms of music. i've recorded my own stuff, put out my own stuff, and booked my own tours for many years, and will continue to do so. for this reason, my business/studio tends to attract a lot of likeminded bands, and these bands are usually my favorites, which is why i even bother to like my job.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Dan Huff rock's it like no other country producer can! He could do any type of music and still be very successful. I wouldn't mind sitting there for months and months learning everything he does. The other producer i love/want to be like, is Bernie Herms. Christian Producer has one of the best ears in the industry as well as being, i kid you not, the nicest guy in the world :) Aim high or don't aim at all