What's with the Fader Lag Mackie MCU??

• Members

You've mentioned this before. I'm still not sure what you're referring to. Maybe I haven't noticed it. I don't see any lag, per se. When I move the fader, the fader in PT moves right along with it. Maybe what you're experiencing is what's inherent in just about any "touch sensitive" fader system: you gotta engage the fader, and it only engages when it knows you're "there". I dunno. Guess I need a little more explanation to be of any better possible help.

Peace

• Members

I haven't heard specifics, but I have heard about issues with DP since day one. It may very well be a driver issue. Also, I'm on LE 7.1, so there could be issues with 7.3's response. Shakabrah, did you have these issues before or are they new?

Peace

The reason I'm posting this topic again is I'm hoping to get an answer from another user. I have contacted Mackie twice and they can't give me an answer. All they say is, "hmmm." Nice, huh?

On my MCU, if I take a fader and ride it, moving it up and down in small increments, medium quickness, it lags. Frustrating watching your screen that's diff from the touch in your fingers. Precise level edits are impossible.

This MCU is almost 4-weeks old and has had fader lag since day one. I had a Tascam US2400 before and it had zero fader lag. Depending on NAMM, I will return the Mackie under the generous 45-day return policy, where I purchased it. I'm certainly not going tp pay an extra $2,000 for 3 extenders, only to encounter the same problem. Not good, for a total of $3K. With that kind of coin I might just bump up to the Digi Control 24......

If I ride 2 or 3 faders on the MCU, some of them stick and freeze, randomly. I just did one mix where I wanted one of the three faders to fade out completely. On screen it just froze, then a second later followed the command.

• Members

I can understand that frustration. I'd definitely be bothered by that. And honestly, though Mackie can be helpful, they can be a bit difficult to get an answer from sometimes. I'd say go to the Mackie forums and see if someone else has posted a similar problem (which isn't nearly as active as this site), or again, if it's a 7.x versus 7.3 issue, then check out the DUC, also.

I hope you get your problem resolved. I'll keep an eye out for any info, too.

Peace

• Members

MCU SUCKS W/DP!!!! rocks with nuendo. motu wont write a proper driver for it. try editing your plugins. only true MAS plus can be edited, and they are so coarse in adjustment its worthless. now try it in nuendo. {censored} works like its supposed to on the MCU. in DP i thought it was broken.... nuendo, definately not [well it is kinda broken, i spilled some tequila in the faders of my XT and those dont work all that well right this second... and i broke a fader on the MCU and moved it to master fader spot], still works like a champ.

the latency you have is due to you latency in the system. i had to run higher buffers in DP/OSX so as i did so, it became more latent vs when i ran the buffers lower. it least thats where i noticed it change while i was using it.

• Members

Higher or lower buffers, it's da same lag. I can't use nuendo cause I don't want to learn another platform. PTLE works fine for me, I'll wait for NAMM, nothing new, I'll dump the MCU but if I get a Command 8, that has no scrub wheel, only buttons! Gawd life sucks.....

• Members

I'll wait for NAMM,.....

Wait's over: http://www.mackie.com/products/mcupro/splash.html

Probably the only interesting things are that it has an onboard USB MIDI interface, supporting up to 3 devices, and I like the jog/shuttle wheel. Other than that, nothing to make me switch, but it may be a reason to take yours back, if you can wait for whenever this one drops. However, I do like it 'cause I'm hoping the extenders go down a little more and I may pick up one then. :D

Peace

• Members

looks better than mk1.... i have nearly destroyed my MCU and XT [original faders werent that great]. i know they changed the design of them from getting replacement faders. i will probably keep my original for FCP on the MAC and use these new ones for Nuendo on the PC... even though i REALLY want a Euphonix 5mc instead [just too much money]

• Members

its $800 MORE than the old MCU? or you mean spending $800 again? i see these as a proper replacement, not for more money than the old... just bringing the old design to where it SHOULD have been in the first place.

Old ones are $999. Will probably have a major price reduction when the new one is available, probably down to $899 or $799, as it gets closer to closeout-ville.

New ones are $1549, which will probably sell for $1499.

Price diff between the old and new is approx $600-700. For USB and a diff box, I just as soon stay with the old one. Unless Mackie or someone and tells me differently.....

• Members

yeah, bad price point. for something they SHOULD have done to begin with. ill stick with what i have for that money. it cant be THAT much better. fwiw, NEITHER of them look "professional"... but they are a good bang for the buck type thing. gets done what you need done, not elegant in its form. hope the XT drops of money and maybe i will pick up 2 more.

• Members

yeah, bad price point. for something they SHOULD have done to begin with. ill stick with what i have for that money. it cant be THAT much better. fwiw, NEITHER of them look "professional"... but they are a good bang for the buck type thing. gets done what you need done, not elegant in its form. hope the XT drops of money and maybe i will pick up 2 more.

I use anywhere from 32-40 trks so I'd have to get 4 extenders. My current situation, it'd take up a ton up room. What I do now is just organize my tracks per bank so bank switching is easy and I know where everything is. Like all percussion on 1-8 and bass/guitars on 9-16, keys on the next one, vocals on the next, etc.

I never thought bank switching could be so easy. So....mouse on my right, keyboard in front, MCU on my left. I can do most everything with my right hand on the mouse/key and my left hand on the Mackie - four fingers on four faders.

Anymore extenders and I'm going to have to visually search for all faders, waste a lot of time.....but I DO wish the fader bank buttons were directly on the bottom...maybe by the scrub wheel....

Archived