Help with micing a small gospel choir?

• Moderators

Small. One soloist and 3 additional choir singers. We're doing a little send up of the rock/gospel tune that follows as an intro. There will be no accompaniment. Just the singers. I've never done one of these...

I could go 2 AKGs in Blumlien back about 8 feet. And U87 for spot soloist?

Ideas?

• Members

Depends on the room your in.

In a good room and a good choir, the blumlien pair (I'm assuming the AKG's are 414's) will do quite nicely. Another option is to go spaced omni.

If you have earthworks omnis or similar, I'd go that route. For the spot singer, a U87 works if thats the best mic for the singer. But basically you're looking at a cardiod LDC for that purpose, so whatever works for the singer will work.

• Moderators

The room is 35 x 12 with an 18' ceiling. Live and untreated. It sounds great for drums, amps, horns, etc. It should sound great. So yeah, the Blumlien should sound fine and the 414s rock in that config. My concern...

How do I orient the soloist with regards to the "choir'? My first thought is to put the soloist three feet in front of the others but all facing in the same direction. The 87 a foot out from the soloist.

Or.... I could have the soloist face towards the others and put her 87 in cardiod to attenuate them a bit in her mic. This then means she's not facing the Blumlien as it's behind her now. Choir faces the Bumlein which is behind soloist. Soloist faces 87 in cardiod that is between her and choir. This might help with post balancing...

???

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

This past Saturday we nailed it. Yahoo!

The "choir" ended up being only 3 strong due to last minute scheduling issues. This was to capture a gospel choir, a 30 second rendition of a gospel rock flavored track to follow on the album. Sort of an introduction. Voices only.

Spaced Omni, while sounding nice, sounded like a recording. Know what I mean? So I switched to Blumlien and the method disappeared. All I heard were singers in front of me. I love that Blumlien. By tracking the small group twice and flipping the L and R of the Blumlien pair, while the singers traded out parts, we effectively created a reasonable facimile of af smallish Sunday prayer meeting with a hint of Africa as well. Amen! When we needed an extra harmony part by one singer, I'd ask her to physicaly move into a spot in the stereo field that hasn't been used yet. Cool.

We decided to overdub the soloist as she was needed to help with the backups first. I switched to the 87 and did what I always do. Quickly got rid of it. I contemplated mic choice... But wait! Why switch out mics at all? How about the same Blumlien to help create the illusion she sang at the same time. It worked great.

Piece of cake. Sounds delicious.

An interesting discovery while mixing. By routing every voice to a sub with common, mild compression, and leaving the soloist out of that bus... she just steps out of the speakers at you while the choir sat back a couple of feet. Cool.

• Members

This past Saturday we nailed it. Yahoo!

The "choir" ended up being only 3 strong due to last minute scheduling issues. This was to capture a gospel choir, a 30 second rendition of a gospel rock flavored track to follow on the album. Sort of an introduction. Voices only.

Spaced Omni, while sounding nice, sounded like a recording. Know what I mean? So I switched to Blumlien and the method disappeared. All I heard were singers in front of me. I love that Blumlien. By tracking the small group twice and flipping the L and R of the Blumlien pair, while the singers traded out parts, we effectively created a reasonable facimile of af smallish Sunday prayer meeting with a hint of Africa as well. Amen! When we needed an extra harmony part by one singer, I'd ask her to physicaly move into a spot in the stereo field that hasn't been used yet. Cool.

We decided to overdub the soloist as she was needed to help with the backups first. I switched to the 87 and did what I always do. Quickly got rid of it. I contemplated mic choice... But wait! Why switch out mics at all? How about the same Blumlien to help create the illusion she sang at the same time. It worked great.

Piece of cake. Sounds delicious.

An interesting discovery while mixing. By routing every voice to a sub with common, mild compression, and leaving the soloist out of that bus... she just steps out of the speakers at you while the choir sat back a couple of feet. Cool.

Nice.....

makes me want to pick up some figure 8 mics.

I just started doing that compression bus thing with bg vox. works like a charm! Keeps them all together, but in the background and just makes that lead voice pop!

Archived