brand new to digital recording. got my mbox mini, any good advice.

• Members

Your pedals aren't all that necessary. A lot of plugins are easier, and often better then guitar pedals for recording.

You might need a microphone. And some headphones or monitors so you can listen to what you've recorded. Other than that....just lay down some tracks. The only way to learn it is to do it.

When you have more questions just ask.

• Members

Your pedals aren't all that necessary. A lot of plugins are easier, and often better then guitar pedals for recording.

You might need a microphone. And some headphones or monitors so you can listen to what you've recorded. Other than that....just lay down some tracks. The only way to learn it is to do it.

When you have more questions just ask.

phones and a mike, got it. any recommend plug ins then?

• Members

Well, don't throw out your pedals yet. Your FX plug ins are fine after the fact but you're not going to be able to track with them -- unless you have a supernatural tolerance for the sound of your guitar being out of sync with your playing.

If your playing depends on your pedal sound, you're probably going to want to track that sound rather than try to track dry and then recreate it in the box after the fact.

(Me, I don't really use pedals because I think it's the surest way to make sure you sound like everyone else. But then that seems to be what most people want.)

• Moderators

Are you recording a drummer? If not but need one... get a cheap usb midi keyboard controller to drive the included Reason drum module. Use PT's midi and drive Reason. That, and the included Digi III eq and compressors are all you need to get going.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

i also am interested in the mbox mini. i am buying an imac this week and need a firewire interface. i was interested in the mbox line because you also get a copy of PT's with it. anyone have any opinions on the mini vs the other mbox or any other firewire interface for that matter?

• Members

hey I just got the mini also..... did you have any issues loading protools? I keep getting all these windows warnings of stop loading the program?

Also what order did you load the software? Mine had pro tools then a pro tools update, then the factory bundles......

also I noticed the software needs 712meg ram... I have 512meg ram and 2gig virtual ram......am I screwed or will it run?

Thanks

Archived