How do you double?

• Members

when you are recording and feel the need to double or even triple a part

how do you keep it from getting too muddy or too trebly?

it seems like no matter what i do it's either to trebly or to muddy

i have tried different guitars, different amps, different pedals.

i don't know what's left to do

thanks

• Members

#1 - Less overdrive.

Give each guitar a separate frequency spectrum emphasis by cutting frequencies. Take the first part and cut the lows, and for the second part cut the highs. Together they make a whole, but have that certain something different.

You can also try tweaking the fader to minimize the attack portion of one track, and balance the levels more evenly during the sustains.

• Moderators

Double with the end product in mind. A couple nights ago I was working with a guitarist recording a reoccurring melody. Intro, post chorus, etc.

The 1st was done with a Les Paul into an old AC30 and CRANKED. It sounds spiffy. Really spiffy. I wanted it doubled though to get that 70's thing going. This is already a pretty girthy tone, bearing in mind I'm really liking the way the Fathead II ribbon is sounding. So I dump the 57 and stay with the ribbon. Fat and overdriven like Paul Kossoff. Or Mick Ralphs.

But I still want it doubled.

Tele into a modded Valve Jr sounding very vintage Fender Deluxe like. Less gain, and use the 57.

All the frequencies were opposite. It's spiky but cool. So I added a Tape Head plugin to soften the spike. Wow. The 2 sounds together. It's 70's rock!!!

Try to find sounds that add together well. That can sometimes be the exact same sound... or in the case above, not. So listen. Try something, and like anything in great pop recording, adjust accordingly.

Great advice Lee. :phil:

Sometimes I will use the same rig and same recording chain when doing a double, but more often than not, I'll change something up - a different guitar, a different amp, different mikes, preamps, pedals.

I also find that if you want the two parts to blend together into a single "composite" sound, then panning them together helps, as does tight playing. Looser playing and panning things away from each other, along with possibly playing different intervals or chord inversions, along with EQ and tonal differences will help separate / differentiate the parts.

Lee, one of these days you've got to try out a Lovetone Brown Source pedal if you haven't already - I call mine "Mick Ralphs in a box" - it's perfect for that Bad Co. type rock sound. :)

• Members

Lee, one of these days you've got to try out a Lovetone Brown Source pedal if you haven't already - I call mine "Mick Ralphs in a box" - it's perfect for that Bad Co. type rock sound.
:)

wait a minute Phil, what's that?? Mick Ralphs in a box. that Marshall plexi overdriven vibe??

• Moderators

Lee, one of these days you've got to try out a Lovetone Brown Source pedal if you haven't already - I call mine "Mick Ralphs in a box" - it's perfect for that Bad Co. type rock sound.
:)

:love: That sounds great. I'll try one when I get a chance.

wait a minute Phil, what's that?? Mick Ralphs in a box. that Marshall plexi overdriven vibe??

Yeah Kel, it's a really unique sounding pedal. It's not quite the same as other Marshall-esque pedals like say, the Fulltone OCD (which I also like) - the Lovetone gets sounds I've never heard duplicated by any other OD pedal.

Too bad they're discontinued and sell for just silly money on the used market. :(

There's a few clips up on the old Lovetone site...

• Moderators

Usually a totally different guitar and a new setup for capturing the doubled guitar. One may be direct only ....

Very often I will double a guitar by running the DI of an alternate take through a sim like Trash. Since it's mixed back anyway, the sim allows me to totally sculpt the double to what I need exactly.

Archived