Can't decide which mic to buy - Rode NT2K vs AKG414

• Members

Personally, I'd go 414 for the history. Even all the different lines, the WORST 414 is better than most. RODE is great but AKG 414 says, "I been in the industry for one million years recording hit after hit after hit".

Sorry. I have unbridled lust for 414s, so I think I'm probably biased. ;)

• Members

I've got a 414B/ULS and had it for years and years (bought it used in the late 80's). It is excellent on anything acoustic (not only guitars but the only mic I'd use for mando or recorder or many times sax for that matter). It works really well on many female vox and male tenor vox. Also really handy as it has patterns so even my low mid filled voice, I can put it in omni and it will get rid of the lows on close intimate vox. I think everyone needs a 414.

• Members

I have the 414B XLII (my only mic), which may be more what you are looking for if it's for solo vocal or guitar, since it has a bit of a lift at the top for some air. It's a very flexible mic, with 5 different patterns, which is important particularly if it's your only mic. I'm using it with a Solo/610, and probably the high lift is a good thing there as well, to offset some of the high end roll off of a tube based pre, though I could be wrong about that.

Archived