Master bus shows clipping but...

• Moderators

As I build a mix I sometimes find myself in the red... but I like the balance and don't want to lose it. So make a group that includes all the faders (Actually, Pro Tools already has one built called All). I'll trim the All group back by 6dB or so and ungroup. After ungrouping make sure to return your master fader to 0.

No more overloading, same balance.

• Members

As I build a mix I sometimes find myself in the red... but I like the balance and don't want to lose it. So make a group that includes all the faders (Actually, Pro Tools already has one built called
All
). I'll trim the
All
group back by 6dB or so and ungroup. After ungrouping make sure to return your master fader to 0.

Thats a really good idea!

• Members

As I build a mix I sometimes find myself in the red... but I like the balance and don't want to lose it. So make a group that includes all the faders (Actually, Pro Tools already has one built called
All
). I'll trim the
All
group back by 6dB or so and ungroup. After ungrouping make sure to return your master fader to 0.

Anyboday out there know how to do this in Sonar?

• Members

When they say "shoot for your nominal level when tracking" i understand very well.

But this has been my question too. When they say "also shoot for your nominal level when mixing". As you build your mix, how could you calculate that?

• Moderators

The problem with the "all group"/pull down faders in PT is that it doesn't work if you've already started writing automation.

What you do if you've started writing automation is...

Group to All as alreadying mentioned. Now change the waveform display to Volume. Select All so every track from start to finish is selected. Actually, it's really only the volume curve that's selected, right? Choose the "Bracket" tool. The one that looks like ]. Now use the bracket tool to lower the whole track's automation curve. This will do so on every track.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I have had this problem as well. It would seem that the solution is to bring down all of the faders except the master. However, I have done a test, and pulling down the master fader removed the audible clipping.

I may be wrong, but the bit depth of the master bus is higher than what the fader indicates, and thus has more headroom than the meter leads you to believe.

• Members

Yeah I realized what the problem was. My mixes were too quiet so I was normalizing. The normalizing is what made the master bus clip.

My ME told me not to normalize so I figured out how to raise the overall gain w/o normalizing (in Sonar 7 goto Process>Audio>Gain). After that I was able to bring my peaks up to -6dB w/ no clipping on the master bus.

I guess I accomplished in Sonar what the other folks were talking about in PT.

• Members

Also be aware that frequencies are additive. Even though an individual track may not be peaking when combined with other tracks may cause overages in certain frequency ranges.

Use a spectrum anylizer to detect problem frequencies, then eq.

:cool:

• Moderators

I have had this problem as well. It would seem that the solution is to bring down all of the faders except the master. However, I have done a test, and pulling down the master fader removed the audible clipping.

Lowering your master fader might remove the clipping but your mix will sound better by lowering the individual faders and leaving your master at zero.

• Members

I may be wrong, but the bit depth of the master bus is higher than what the fader indicates, and thus has more headroom than the meter leads you to believe.

The clip lights on the master fader show you when your outputs are clipping, not the mix buss. The mix buss itself has almost unlimited headroom.

I still prefer to pull down track faders because it helps prevent overloading sends. This is in Pro Tools HD--it might not be a big issue on other platforms, I'm not sure.

• Members

All
). I'll trim the
All

I've done the same thing for years. It's like we're brothers or somethin'.

Obviously you can't anticipate every possibility in terms of mix levels during tracking (though you can have a pretty good idea), but if you track at 0dBVU RMS, you'll be fine. You'll end up with a mix-buss peaking around -6 to -3dB. Your ME will be totally cool with that, though he/she will be fine with more head room than that too.

Frank

• Moderators

Why's that?

I've read explanations as to why you're better off not lowering your master but the particulars escape me... I can tell you what my tests showed; If you run your faders hot and lower your master the sound is constipated, choked. If you lower you faders and keep your master at zero the sound is open and natural.

It's easy enough to do the test yourself... try and see. :thu:

• Members

I will have to try that test. My test involved copying about 50 of the same track, each one not clipping, but obviously their cum clipping int he master. It sounded distorted. So I puleld downt he master fader and the distortions ound was gone.

Relatedly, is it bad to have your track faders too low? It seems before you start mixing you'd want to turn down your track faders very low aso that the sum doesn't clip, but is there a consequence to turning them down too low?

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

If you aren't clipping on any individual track or bus, why would turning down the master be bad? I understand you need to be careful about not overloading any effects or sends but these things can be monitored too. I always try to mix low such that there is no need to turn down the master, but sometimes I find myself needing to turn down the master by about 1-2dB to avoid a few stray peaks in a song that aren't clipping an individual track but when added to the rest of the mix push the master a bit into the red. Is there any absolute reason why you shouldn't do this?

Also, any chance you could detail how you acheived turning down all the tracks in sonar with automation already written? I hate getting towards the end of a mix being a little too hot but then having to deal with the fact that a bunch of automation is already written in. I'm currently using sonar 7 too. I would appreciate the tip!.

• Members

In Sonar, if you right click on the master meters, you can change the DB sensitivity level of the meters. It extends the meter range and gives a more stabel reading especially on music that is very dynamic. It visually smooths out the peaks for reading and setting the overall gain. Audio Peaks still occur and you may have to lower the overall level to compensate, but extermely fast transients may not be noticed in the mixdown in hot level recordings

Archived