Micing a cello?

• Members

I have a gig coming up this next weekend where I am going to be recording and running sound at an outdoor event.

One of the groups is made up of eight cello players..and a drummer.

In their stage plot, they are saying they normally use SM57's on the cello's.. I'm thinking some SDC's would sound better..but with eight of them..I don't know.

Anybody done any all cello all the time recording..? Any tips?

• Members

I've gotten pretty good results at home using two condensers on a cello, one large diaphragm down near the bridge a foot or two back and slightly off axis and one small diaphragm pointing down towards the bottom of the fingerboard and body of the cello from above about two - three feet away. They gave a pretty good mix of warmth and body vs. more string sound and air. Then again this was in a controlled environment with just one cello and not a live environment, so I don't know if that helps much. Mic positioning on cello seems to greatly affect the tone of the sound you are picking up, even more so than I might have expected, so you may be able to get by with a condenser or a dynamic and just play with positioning to balance tone out. Then again I didn't actually try a dynamic mic when I was recording cello because I was happy with the sound I got using the condensers so I don't really know how they would come out.

• Members

I've gotten pretty good results at home using two condensers on a cello, one large diaphragm down near the bridge a foot or two back and slightly off axis and one small diaphragm pointing down towards the bottom of the fingerboard and body of the cello from above about two - three feet away. They gave a pretty good mix of warmth and body vs. more string sound and air. Then again this was in a controlled environment with just one cello and not a live environment, so I don't know if that helps much. Mic positioning on cello seems to greatly affect the tone of the sound you are picking up, even more so than I might have expected, so you may be able to get by with a condenser or a dynamic and just play with positioning to balance tone out. Then again I didn't actually try a dynamic mic when I was recording cello because I was happy with the sound I got using the condensers so I don't really know how they would come out.

You describe the way I mic an accoustic bass. However, it isn't going to be possible to mic eight cello's in a live situation with a LD and a SDC on each cello....not to mention I don't own eight LD's OR SDC mics..

My original plan was to use four LD mics, one on each pair of cello's.. but I will probably try eight 57's and see.. Of course the problem is the same with any live recording.. one chance to get it right.

Thanks all.

Archived