So what kind of EQ do you guys use...

• Members

when you are EQing each track? I'm just getting into the whole "EQ the tracks and make them fit like a puzzle" concept...so what would be a nice, basic EQ that I could use that would give me good results? (I like graphic EQ's by the way) :wave:

• Members

The first year I was doing this it was the stock one on the software (cubase for me) so a simple 4 band parametric.

2 years ago I picked up the wavarts package. I use trackplug a lot.

I know it's tempting to use a fixed band EQ (graphic) but in the studio world they are not used that much as far as on a per track basis. It's to limiting.

EQing takes alot of reading and trial and error to get down. It's hard (for me anyway) to say "oh sure no problem cut here boost here etc etc...

• Members

Check out the Voxengo Gliss-EQ. It incorporates a spectrum analyzer which can be combined with the analyzer from other instances of the EQ so that if say for instance that you're EQing 3 guitar parts. Each of the Spectrum Analyzers can be seen on all instances of Gliss. It's very helpful for spotting trouble frequencies.

http://www.voxengo.com/product/glisseq/

EDIT: I just noticed that you're from Jersey too. Where abouts? I'm about a 1/2 mile from Seaside Heights.

Mike

• Members

Check out the Voxengo Gliss-EQ. It incorporates a spectrum analyzer which can be combined with the analyzer from other instances of the EQ so that if say for instance that you're EQing 3 guitar parts. Each of the Spectrum Analyzers can be seen on all instances of Gliss. It's very helpful for spotting trouble frequencies.

EDIT: I just noticed that you're from Jersey too. Where abouts? I'm about a 1/2 mile from Seaside Heights.

Mike

Thanks for the link, Mike. I just downloaded the other Voxengo plugin last night. I forget what its called but its a 7 band EQ and really easy to work with. I'll try this one too.

And I'm in Burlington, by the way. A few miles outside of Philly.

• Members

Gliss EQ is great. I use my console EQ's mostly, but I'm a fan of UAD's Cambridge EQ and their Pulteq emulation when I'm mixing ITB.

Frank

My favorite software EQ at the moment, hands down, is the Massenburg Design Works EQ, which was recently ported to RTAS, meaning you no longer have to be running a TDM system to use it.

It's smooth, it's effective, it's accurate, it doesn't ring and have weird artifacts - it's beautiful. :phil:

• Members

So what kind of EQ do you guys use...

The kind that changes the spectral balance and phase relationships of the signals that pass through it!!:cop:

I'm still digging the Kajerhus GEQ7, Different modes from laser thin Q cuts to wide gentle mastering style low Q treatments !! The Gliss also is in the Arsenal too :thu:

:)

• Members

I use Logic's 'Fat EQ' for basic eq-ing and Waves Ren EQ or their older parametric EQ for more precision stuff- but lately I've been using the EQ on Voxengo's Voxformer for guitars (and vocals- naturally)- it's pretty smooth and also has a spec analyzer built-in.

• Members

I use Logic's 'Fat EQ' for basic eq-ing and Waves Ren EQ or their older parametric EQ for more precision stuff- but lately I've been using the EQ on Voxengo's Voxformer for guitars (and vocals- naturally)- it's pretty smooth and also has a spec analyzer built-in.

I'm pretty new to logic so haven't really played around with the fat eq, what do you like about it over the channel eq, or is it just for different tasks?

• Members

My favorite software EQ at the moment, hands down, is the Massenburg Design Works EQ, which was recently ported to RTAS, meaning you no longer have to be running a TDM system to use it.

It's smooth, it's effective, it's accurate, it doesn't ring and have weird artifacts - it's beautiful. :phil:

Where do you buy it and how much is it (native)? Does it come in more formats than pro tools (VST and AU)?

• Members

I recently been trying out these.

http://www.rhythminmind.net/presetblog/2008/05/module-series/

Theyre some of the best quality sounding I've found for plugins so far. very well done, The guy deserves donations for his work.

He has a few EQ types there and a few new ones I need to try out. You have to be carefull with the adjustments cause you can bang the meters hard. The limiters and compressors are very good as well. Think he will be giving waves and others a run for their money.

I also used a number for free ones like Blue EQ and others. I also do some

track exporting and EQ in waves if the tracks are worth justifying the extra time involved.

• Members

I recently been trying out these.

http://www.rhythminmind.net/presetblog/2008/05/module-series/

Theyre some of the best quality sounding I've found for plugins so far. very well done, The guy deserves donations for his work.

He has a few EQ types there and a few new ones I need to try out. You have to be carefull with the adjustments cause you can bang the meters hard. The limiters and compressors are very good as well. Think he will be giving waves and others a run for their money.

I also used a number for free ones like Blue EQ and others. I also do some

track exporting and EQ in waves if the tracks are worth justifying the extra time involved.

Yeah I really wanted to check those out. But I am on OSX. :(

• Members

I'm pretty new to logic so haven't really played around with the fat eq, what do you like about it over the channel eq, or is it just for different tasks?

Well... I'm talking Logic 5, as I don't have a Mac and just never switched after the emagic sale of 2002. Sorry!

• Members

I have been using the 01x channel strip recently, and have liked it. I wonder though if there is something I would like better. I have not tried the API or SSL plugs. Phil, do you or anyone else know how it stacks up?

thanks!

If you have an iLok you can try any of the URS plugs unrestricted for 2 weeks. :thu:

I have been using the 01x channel strip recently, and have liked it. I wonder though if there is something I would like better. I have not tried the API or SSL plugs. Phil, do you or anyone else know how it stacks up?

thanks!

I've got the 01X channel strip VST, and I do use it occasionally. I like the Yamaha EQ's and comps, but when I do use them, I tend to use the actual board channels (01X and 01V96) more often than the plug in versions. However, I don't really think it's a fair comparison to expect them to hold up side by side with the SSL (from a Duende) plug ins, or against the Massenburg EQ. It's analogous to asking your Toyota to go head to head with a Mercedes. ;)

I prefer the Type II Yamaha EQ due to its tendency to require less boost / cut for audible changes to occur (vs the older Type I EQ). I'd rank the Yamaha EQ in about the same as the Digi 3 EQ - nice, solid and quite usable, but not quite as nice as the SSL Duende or Massenburg.

FWIW, I don't have enough familiarity with the Waves SSL plugs to comment - sorry.

• Members

You guys make me glad most of my recording is with acoustic groups..

I rarely ever even use EQ and if I do..the stock graphics in Audition are just fine..

Mics and mic placement solves the problem before it exists.

• Members

I'm always trying to use less. I've been doing some serious time on the rock with Amplitube, really learning all the pre, EQ, amp, cab, mic variations and how they affect the sound, so that I can get as close as possible to what I want without any EQ. There are a LOT of possible combinations, not even including the pedals you might use. But I'm finally starting to get a grip on it and starting to be able to find very specific sounds.

But, even so, in a multi-layered rock type mix, you may still need to frequency constrain some stuff way more than you ever could by natural means. And of course for those of us who DI and use drum synths, a lot of what might be done outboard during tracking is now done inboard in the mix. I try to find good matches for my drum needs from what I have available in BFD, but still drums tend to need a reasonable amount of processing if they are just raw samples like BFDs are.

One of these days when I can afford it, I'm going to grab a 550B to go into my lunch box so that I can move some EQ outboard during the tracking process for guitars, bass, and vox.

Archived