Is anyone using a Shure KSM44 or CAD Trion 8000 microphone?

• Members

While I have some decent mics already, and couldn't really afford to grab these two, I went ahead and won a

Shure KSM44 and CAD Trion 8000 on ebay.

The CAD is new; the Shure is used but looks to be in great shape, per the pictures and information from the seller.

I have not yet received the mics, having just won and paid for them. With over 300 buys/wins on ebay, I have had good luck and

learned how to shift through the grafters (knock on wood), for the most part, so I expect both mics to be in top shape when they arrive.

If you use either, I would appreciate any commments you may have concerning their particular strengths and capabilities.

Many thanks for your time; may you

"Live Long and Prosper"

• Members

I spent some time with a KSM44 last winter. It was a pretty decent vocal mic given a good vocalist. I used it for some female backing vox and it sounded great. I also used it as a room mic for some lead guitar parts... about 5' back from a fender twin. Added some nice natural space to the parts - one of which was a Harrison-esque slide part (Gibson SG - Fender Twin), the other was an almost country-twang lead (EJ Strat - Fender Twin).

• Moderators

I own a Trion 8000. It's cool... but finicky. It works great on outside kick. It's neat on some voices. Really neat on some voices, and some... no. It is not an all arounder by any means but I like it. It has a very exaggerated proximity effect in cardioid than can be used to your advantage when needing to fatten stuff up. Try it on voice in omni for a very different but totally usable sound. If the acoustics of your room aren't up to using an omni on your lead vocal then go hog wild and take into the bathroom in omni and do an over the top, Tom Waits kind of vocal there. It's a finicky but cool mic in the right situation. It's got some vibe.

I suspect from what I've heard the 44 will be a very good all arounder and will probably find more use.

Archived