AAA opportunity

• Members

This fall we are recording an EP of some throwback 50's rock, all originals. We've got an opportunity to record for free (plus tape) in a great room on reel to reel, and we are toying with the idea of an AAA release on a 7 inch. I know absolutely nothing about vinyl, how expensive is it to press low-run vinyl? Obviously AAD from itunes, but for a hard release, it would be neat. How expensive is vinyl pressing for low-run, like 300 or less? Thanks!

• Members

This fall we are recording an EP of some throwback 50's rock, all originals. We've got an opportunity to record for free (plus tape) in a great room on reel to reel, and we are toying with the idea of an AAA release on a 7 inch. I know absolutely nothing about vinyl, how expensive is it to press low-run vinyl? Obviously AAD from itunes, but for a hard release, it would be neat. How expensive is vinyl pressing for low-run, like 300 or less? Thanks!

Mastering isn't big deal...I know guys who master for vinyl. Mixing is a different thing though...it's not that a record has to be *mixed* for vinyl exactly, but the mix engineer does have to take some things into account to make the ME's job easier in the next stage. Production is also more expensive than it used to be because not many places are tooled for it anymore.

Bands do it all the time though, so check with your mix engineer and do some pressing research...you should be able to get it done if you're willing to pay the premium.

Frank

Archived