HELP can't find my plugins on Magix Music Maker 6 after copying it to another PC !

• Members

Hi,

I bought a new laptop, on which I copied MAGIX Music Maker 6, which I had installed on my old one. I copied the whole folder so as to also have all the FX plugins (chorus, flanger, some nice reverbs, etc.) I already had.

However, although I put everything in the same folders as on the old one, I can't find any of my plugins while using Music Maker on the new PC ! :mad: Looks like Music Maker doesn't "see" them anymore, whereas they're still in the same location basically...

OTOH, the FX list available from the mixer mentions several plugins that apparently are just on the new laptop...BUT THAT I DON'T NEED. :mad:

So, how can I drop these from the list and have Music Maker list only my good plugins ? HELP plz... :cry:

I don't own or use that program, so I doubt I'll be of much help. However, if they're VST plug ins, they may actually be located in a different "VST" directory on your original HDD. Sometimes it will be something like C:steinbergvst or something along those lines.

Of course, you should probably use your original installation disks for the new install instead of trying to copy things over... and if you're doing it without a license / lack the original install disk(s) a) I don't want to know about it and b) shame on you!

• Members

I don't own or use that program, so I doubt I'll be of much help. However, if they're VST plug ins, they may actually be located in a different "VST" directory on your original HDD. Sometimes it will be something like C:steinbergvst or something along those lines.

Of course, you should probably use your original installation disks for the new install instead of trying to copy things over... and if you're doing it without a license / lack the original install disk(s) a) I don't want to know about it and b) shame on you!

They're directX plugins and, indeed, on the old one there was a "directx" folder which I copied to the very same location on the HDD of the new laptop, same path, same name, same everything.

So, naturally, I was expecting Music Maker to "see" them on the new PC just as on the old one...but no, instead it sees other plugins that I don't need and that were already installed by default on the computer for other purposes... :mad:

Yeah, I guess I'll try to use the installation disk (it's a demo version actually, but a quite usable one) instead...if I can find it ! :cry:

This issue annoys the {censored} out of me...I would like to access those FX in order to be able to mix my tracks on the new laptop, because the old one is REALLY old (2002...) and REALLY short on RAM (128 Mb, VS 4Gb for the new one...) which causes Music Maker to be REAL slow at times... :facepalm:

• Members

I had a simular thing happen when I upgraded my computer. Many of the VST plugins are direct X and the presets are saved in some Direct X folder I was never able to find. In my case I just plugged in the drive as a slave. Copying the DLL files over worked on some but on others that had their own GUI I had to reinstall them to get them to work properly. Some plugins install as an application (Program) They require install files. You cant just copy them.

For copying the entire disk, You could use Norton Ghost. The only problem there is its a new laptop with different hardware and system drivers etc. Ghosting only works with the same unit and you want to replace hard drives.

I your case I would connect the two laptops together and pull them over to a new folder with a different name.

• Members

You should NEVER just copy over programs from one machine to another.

As you found out, components are scattered all over Windows (a stupid drawback to the old days), making any such copies incomplete.

You should only install from installer disks. (We know why most people usually don't have 'em....)

Good points about the install process guys - in some cases, you can indeed just copy over the .dll files, but more often than not, an installation process is involved, and without installing from the original program file or disk, just copying things isn't going to give you a working installation.

brikus, glad to hear you're using a "legal" demo copy and not a crack. :cool:

Good points about the install process guys - in some cases, you can indeed just copy over the .dll files, but more often than not, an installation process is involved, and without installing from the original program file or disk, just copying things isn't going to give you a working installation.

brikus, glad to hear you're using a "legal" demo copy and not a crack. :cool:

• Members

Well, I followed you guys' advice and re-DLed all the plugins I wanted and re-installed them on the new laptop. And now it's all working fine !!!! :cool:

Thanks a ton to you guys for the tip !!! :thu::thu::thu:

• Members

Now I have the Blue Cat free FX bundle (chorus, flanger, phaser (gotta check for this one...not so sure anymore... :confused: ), semi-param EQ) and also Anwida Soft's DX Reverb lite. :thu:

Now I guess I'm all set for mixing my song... :cool:

Thx mucho again, guys. :thu:

• Moderators

Yep, a new PC. I'm picking it up today from my PC guy. A quad core Dell. He's reverting to XP. The rest is up to me...

I (he) saved the old C drive as a partition on one of the new drives so I could easily find what I need. Should be interesting.

Archived