TRS/TS question

• Members

TRS = Tip/Ring/Sleeve, and also Stereo, correct?

TS = Tip/Sleeve, and also Mono, correct?

Can you put a TS cable into a TRS jack and it works okay?

What about a TRS cable into a TRS jack?

I should know this... :facepalm:

• Members

Well the mono stero thing are typical uses for those cables, but... yeah.

And of course you can put a TRS cable into a TRS jack. And you can plug a TS cable into a TRS jack and have it pass signal okay.

But.

You should understand that there are "balanced" and "unbalanced" connections. It is enough to know that balanced connections are mono connections that use three conductors, as in an XLR jack or a lot of TRS jacks.

An XLR connector is another jack with three pins. And you will see a lot of cables that have TRS on one end and XLR on the other. I use two seprate cables to connect the two balanced TRS outs from my soundcard to the balanced XLR inputs on my monitors.

So a lot of trs cable connects are not "two channels of mono with a common ground"-- they are not stereo. Rather, most things labled TRS are a single, balanced signal. But, of course, htat is not always the case; there are a lot of things (like most headphone jacks) that use TRS to send a stereo signal.

Ultimately, the TR and S are three conductors, and you can either send two signals and a ground through them, as with stereo, OR you can send two versions of the same signal plus a ground, as with something that might connect via an XLR mic cable.

Yeesh. Sorry for the long reply.

• Members

TRS can be used for things like stereo headphones or stereo signals but were originally designed by the telephone company I believe (Switchboard Operators) but is mainly used for Low Impediance audio connections simular to the XLR plugs. Most patch bays have them to connect effects units together and inputs to sound card recording etc.

You can plug in a Mono jack and get a signal in most applications but its only going to be High Impediance. (Be careful where phantom power is involved). There are some other uses like in one of my compressors has a send and return for Side Chaining. A TRS on one end with 2TS plugs on the other.

• Members

I'd rather have a balanced (TRS) patch bay and that's what I use in my recording setup. You can use an unbalanced cable in a balanced system and make it unbalanced but you can't use a TSR cable in an unbalanced and magically make it balanced. An unbalanced patch bay will guarantee that all connections are unbalanced in that signal chain.

• Members

I'd rather have a balanced (TRS) patch bay and that's what I use in my recording setup. You can use an unbalanced cable in a balanced system and make it unbalanced but you can't use a TSR cable in an unbalanced and magically make it balanced. An unbalanced patch bay will guarantee that all connections are unbalanced in that signal chain.

Got it. :thu:

Thanks very much. :)

Edit: Just curious

Archived