Working with already mastered tracks

• Members

I going to be doing vocals on a song that the music has already been mastered.

I can't get the master bus to keep from clipping as I try to compress the vocals and bring them up but it pushed the bus and clips the master

Anyone who has done this already Post and give me a hand.

Its a hip hop track where they are using a already mastered Beat and singing over it

• Members

Ya I brought all the levels down to -5db and compressed the master bus and it sounds GREAT!

thanks alot!~

I usualy dont work with other peoples beats so its strange dealing with post master music.

Glad it worked out! I would say never forget- it only matters how it sounds, never be afraid to raise, lower, or modify in any way audio tracks for mix. Its your job, as you know, to make it sound good. How doesnt matter AT ALL!

Rap and Hip Hop have done wonders for music IMHO just because of the gonzo approach...

Just because they have been mastered doesn't mean you need to leave them at 0 db as you figured out. And consider one compressor at tracking on different drums and mayeb a compressor on the drum bus, then at mix down another few compressors maybe on the drums and another on the stereo drum bus and then a compressor on the master bus THEN sent ot mastering. Thats literally over 5 compressors affecting one channel... Not that its always that much but its not like that isn't done...

People always like to SAY they don't use compression but its all over commercial music! Ignore expectations and make it work!:thu:

Archived