24 bit portable player?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Are you talking about something like an iPod? I've been told repeatedly that iPods play back 24-bit AIFF and WAV files. I don't have one, so I don't know firsthand. Check into it and see if it does.

None of my 3 i products will play 24 bit.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

As far as I can tell, my several year old SanDisk 1 GB player doesn't play 24 bit wav.

I say as far as I can tell because, when I pulled it out of my backpack just now I noticed the LCD had suffered meltdown/bleed/whatever -- it's toast as far as info display. (The device still plays back but navigation is blind. Luckily, it was in shuffle playback mode before the lights went out.) Anyhow, I deleted the contents and stuck a 16 bit wav and a 24 bit wav in and hit skip repeatedly but only the 16 bit file played.

Happily, I guess, the price of these things seems to have come down by about 80-90 percent so when I finally get fed up I guess I'll at least be able to replace it cheaply.

But, gee, it's not like this thing has been abused. It's usually in my nice safe back pack and seldom gets used. Ah well... disposable tech. :rolleyes:

Archived