Famous Studios?

• Members

Olympic Studios in London

U2 (ew) recorded their latest album there, plus over the years the Stones cut many classic records there, plus Small Faces and other 60s bands (Kinks?). It's apprently in financial trouble but still going.

Muscle Shoals?

Sunset Sound? not sure if these have closed.

• Members

Henson was A&M... East West was Cello and one of the two Ocean Way buildings before that.

Avatar, formerly "The Power Station" is a pretty amazing joint.

"Electric Ladyland" is an album [that was recorded at The Record Plant in NY]... Electric Lady is a recording studio.

The Record Plant in LA is historic to say the least... but most of the history came from the 3rd St. location... not the current N. Sycamore St. location.

Olympic is no longer with us... and while that Olympic might have been used for the new U2 record... it was the original Olympic that was home to Led Zeppelin, the Stones and many [MANY] more.

I noticed someone mentioned "Ultrasonic" in Hempstead, NY... which was a pretty damn competent place but if I'm not mistaken it's been gone for well over 20 years... like "Boogie Hotel", "Big Apple", etc.. While a lot of really cool stuff was done at Ultrasonic I don't think it really falls into the "legendary" category unless you're old like me and remember all the great "live in the studio" broadcasts done there over WLIR... and by that token many great recordings were done for WCOZ at Normandy Sound in Warren, RI [where I used to work].

Most of the Stax work in Memphis was done at Ardent... I don't believe Stax had their own studio. Muscle Shoals did a bunch of work for Stax too if I remember correctly... and I reckon if you want to get into that era you shouldn't forget Sun Sound Studios or the studio at Chess Records.

Sunset Sound is very much alive and well... and more than a few exceptionally classic recordings were made there... and many more at "The Village Recorder" in LA... and "Capitol Records" studios... etc., etc., etc., etc.

• Members

If looking at modern studios, you'd probably want to mention the Sound Kitchen in Nashville, they've recorded a LOT of artists over the last 10 years or so. LOTS of good mentions above, though, probably with a lot more history than the Kitchen, which is a fairly new studio by comparison to those above. Then again, if you want to look at studios historically, then they all probably bear mention.

• Members

... Electric Lady is a recording studio.

Oops, my bad...

I noticed someone mentioned "Ultrasonic" in Hempstead, NY... which was a pretty damn competent place but if I'm not mistaken it's been gone for well over 20 years... like "Boogie Hotel", "Big Apple", etc.. While a lot of really cool stuff was done at Ultrasonic I don't think it really falls into the "legendary" category unless you're old like me and remember all the great "live in the studio" broadcasts done there over WLIR...

I remember those and actually played in one of those WLIR broadcasts. But lets not forget that the Vanilla Fudge and Young Rascals did some things there along with Producer Shadow Morton and more, as well as Leslie West and Billy Joel. Anyway, by Long Island standards it's a bit historic and still feel it deserves a mention on those terms.

• Members

Henson.

Capitol.

East West.

Ocean Way.

All have some pretty serious history, and are pretty well known - and that's just in the LA area. There's a bunch in Nashville, New York, London... any geographical preferences? Do they have to still be in operation?

Cool, thanks

And no, no geographical preferences even though USA and London would be preferred.

It doesn't matter if it isn't in operation anymore.

thanks again! :thu:

• Members

There's one near me in the Bay area (The Plant) that recently closed after decades of recording many classic albums by people like Fleetwood Mac, Santana, Stevie Wonder, Journey, Metallica, Joe Satriani, and a very long list of other famous bands.

• Members

Others not previously mentioned:

Muscle Shoals (Ala)

Goodnite LA (Van Nuys) haunted by Keith Olsen

Devonshire (LA)

Rumbo Recorders (LA)

Cherokee (LA)

Paramount Recorders (LA) on Santa Monica Blvd next to the old Nadine's Music store

Evergreen (Burbank) One time owned by Barbara Striesand and were 'We are the World' was recorded, I think.

Lawn & Garden (Pasadena) Owned by Kevin Gilbert and famous to Progheads

• Members

I remember those and actually played in one of those WLIR broadcasts. But lets not forget that the Vanilla Fudge and Young Rascals did some things there along with Producer Shadow Morton and more, as well as Leslie West and Billy Joel. Anyway, by Long Island standards it's a bit historic and still feel it deserves a mention on those terms.

I used to work at WLIR in the late 70's, early 80's... there was some absolutely classic stuff that came out of Ultrasonic... my favorite being a Little Feat "live for the radio" show. The playing and audio were of equal caliber to say the least.

I truly was a great studio!!

• Members

I'm having a Senior Moment at the moment, but maybe one of you guys could chime in and help me here:

How about the famous little studio in Memphis that Elvis first recorded at, that also churned out many later hits?

It's name is at the edge of my brain but refuses to make the quantum leap to my tongue.

• Members

Most of the Stax work in Memphis was done at Ardent... I don't believe Stax had their own studio.

Stax actually did have quite an active studio of it's own over on East McLemore. Al Bell started booking sessions at Ardent as a second studio for the label in 1967.

While we're on the subject of Memphis, how about Royal Recording over on South Lauderdale where many of the great Hi Records tracks were cut?

Archived