whos using logic 9 now??

• Members

^^I've got the educational version OF 7, so I'd have to break my balls to get Logic 9.
:(

Yeah- that sucks. I was lucky when I purchased Logic (sort of). I had just bought a Line 6 M13 for $500 and ended up not liking it as much as I had thought I would, so I did a straight up swap for Logic when I returned it. So- I still spent a ton, but it was easier, being as I had already spent it on something else. And I ended up enjoying Logic WAY more than that lame-ass, over-priced pedal.

• Members

I just got it. The new features are amazing. They pretty much added all the tracking capabilities that pro tools had and logic didn't. I think this may be a Pro Tools killer. The new amp modeler is much better than before as well, however, you still can't replace a good ol' tube amp.

• Members

I'm still on Logic 7 and I still LOVE it.

I'm gassing so hard for 9.

Same here but i'm starting to like the look of the Flex tool. I try so hard not to update everything when it comes out but I totally missed doing the '8' thing on purpose so maybe I deserve 9 :cry:

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

I bought Logic Studio (ver 8) 74 days before the new upgrade. :mad:

I'm still learning to use it so I'm quite tempted to just get the damn upgrade now and learn the new features too since they're practically all new for me anyway. I get a discount on it anyway, so I'll probably go that route, still... :mad:

• Members

Using Logic 9 on my Mac Pro, all running fine.

Biggest whine seems to be Logic will show an error message "you are almost out of memory""please remove some plugins".

In Logic 8 once you over used ram it would just crash.

Gives you a chance to fiddle before info is lost...

Me being a bleeding edge guy.

I have done a superduper backup of my Leopard 10.5.8 and updated to Snow Leopard 10A432 beta.

On my original Mac Pro so far I'm not able to load into 64 bit (yet).

As well Logic 9 loads up as 32 bit. So that error message may not go away soon.

But the updates have made some nice work flow changes that personally I find great.

No complaints from me.

B

• 1 year later...
  • Members

(...)Same here but i'm starting to like the look of the Flex tool. I try so hard not to update everything when it comes out but I totally missed doing the '8' thing on purpose so maybe I deserve 9:cry:

I updated to Logic 7 (!) two years ago (!!) after running 6 and Tiger happily for years. I have a PowerMac Quad G5.

I've been trying not to think about the sexy new all-in-one-window concept of LP 8... and haven't even looked into what LP 9 has to offer...

...as, with me still running a G5 system, ANY upgrade will mean BUYING A NEW MAC (everything's Intel only now...)

So I'm banging my head against the wall about wether

1. ignoring new features a while more (couple of years?)

OR

2. investing *heavily* (upgrade PLUS new computer)

OR...

3. dropping Logic so I can buy "more computer for less money" with a PC and Cubase (diiiirty words in here :eek:)

I know everyone's hardware grows "old" eventually... It STILL s**ks having to decide about hardware because I want new software. :confused:

• Members

I updated to Logic 7 (!) two years ago (!!) after running 6 and Tiger happily for years. I have a PowerMac Quad G5.

I've been trying not to think about the sexy new all-in-one-window concept of LP 8... and haven't even looked into what LP 9 has to offer...

...as, with me still running a G5 system, ANY upgrade will mean BUYING A NEW MAC (everything's
Intel only
now...)

So I'm banging my head against the wall about wether

1. ignoring new features a while more (couple of years?)

OR

2. investing *heavily* (upgrade PLUS new computer)

OR...

3. dropping Logic so I can buy "more computer for less money" with a PC and Cubase
(diiiirty words in here
:eek:
)

I know everyone's hardware grows "old" eventually... It STILL s**ks having to decide about hardware because I want new software.
:confused:

My friend bought a G5 about 6 months before the Intel thing. Probably the worst time to buy a Mac unfortunately.. Even my GF's 5 year old dual core 1.83 Core Duo is still supported.. Six months before that and boom, your out..

That said. I'm running a unibody Macbook pro and still running Logic 7. There is a lot to that program and I don't feel you are really missing out on much. I'd enjoy the machine for what it is..

Rimmer

• Members

I'm using Logic 8. It does just about everything I want it to do. But...

I'll probably upgrade to Logic 9.

Why?

I did a project recently where a producer supplied me with the audio drum tracks and wanted me to add MIDI orchestrated tracks. I added all the new tracks while playing to the producers drum tracks. Sounded great on my end (and in perfect sync).

I bounced each track separately into wav files (and MIDI files) then sent them to the producer. He wanted to do a final mix using Pro Tools. The tracks were way out of sync with his original drum tracks. He couldn't use them. I think the new feature in Logic 9 - "Tempo Import/Export" will solve this problem. Hope so.

Also, when changing tempos within a Logic 8 project, the tempo needs to be changed one measure before the actual measure you need the tempo change. The new tempo always kicks in one measure late. I heard Logic 9 fixed this issue.

Other than that, I'd stay with Logic 8.

John:cool:

• Members

i lost a file the other day, one of the broadcast ready mixer strip plugins, dont know how i lost it, tech support emailed it to me etc. there is no uninstaller wtf. they wanted me to re install part of it which was about 200mb for a 2 mb file,, still, its working for me an i like it more than protools

• Members

I upgraded from Logic 8 Pro to 9 Pro, as far as the differences they very subtle, more samples a few more keyboard sounds, a little more intuitive GUI.

I like both and 8 was serving me perfectly so I'm not 100% sure why I upgraded to 9 Pro, I'm running it on both the iMac 24 and Macbook for portability, I use Presonus Firestudio interfaces and have a total of 24 in/out now but can expand to 96 in/out pretty quickly.

• Members

My friend bought a G5 about 6 months before the Intel thing. Probably the worst time to buy a Mac unfortunately.. Even my GF's 5 year old dual core 1.83 Core Duo is still supported.. Six months before that and boom, your out..

That said. I'm running a unibody Macbook pro and still running Logic 7. There is a lot to that program and I don't feel you are really missing out on much. I'd enjoy the machine for what it is..

Rimmer

I see we've had a similar thinking process: from my days with Computer Music magazine and its forum, I remember the word "gearlust"... We could create "softlust" for the present situation, right?

So, like you, striving for a reason to finally update to LP 9, only to end up assuring me (reluctantly...? yes...? :) ) that LP 7 is actually an excellent tool, I came to my senses after feeling compelled to update everything!

If I was running behind schedule to honour all my deals (I wish!), I *might* have a motive for investing in the most comfortable gear AND software with the highest performances.

Not *quite* having reached that uttermost carreer goal yet, and also owning a perfectly stable system, the few glitches it produces I KNOW HOW TO WORK AROUND / FIX, I can very well do ANYthing I want with it.

I can even bring myself to use more than the 5 or (max.) 10% of LP 7's potential and feel like I bought a new program ;)

I'm sure there are enough people like us out there for a BIG club :D

• Members

Still using Logic 8, running on 10.5.8 and everything is very stable, (almost) never crashes and runs sweetly. I understand the workflow, it does everything I currently need very well and I've had great results when recording, composing and mixing with it.

So I just know when I upgrade that's all going to go to rat {censored}... ;)

Archived