Studio Monitors under 2000$

• Members

I am looking for a new pair of monitors.

These are the ones that caught my attention:

Genelec 8040 ( They cost more than 2000$ )

Dynaudio BM5A

Dynaudio BM6A MkII

Yamaha Msp7

Adam A7

Right now I have the Genelec 8040 and the Yamaha Msp7 for testing in my studio, I will do these testing on the weekend but I don't have any way of trying for the Dynaudio and the Adam here.

What do you think of these speakers and should I take another into consideration?

Thanks

• Members

I was looking at almost the exact same list of options you made when I was looking to purchase a new pair of monitors for my studio. When I was ready to purchase I asked a friend of mine, who is a fairly well-known producer here in South Africa, which he would recommend. He has tried them all and owns the Genelecs and Yamaha's. He told me to seriously consider a pair of B&W 685's with a good amp. He had gotten himself a pair of B&W's after he thought the others, especially the Genelecs, were "a joke".

Bottom line: The B&W's are amazing. They are totally accurate in the bottom end, brutally true in the mids and the highs are not hyped at all. I can actually hear what the highs are *really* doing. My mixes are coming out beautifully with much less effort because I can hear EVERYTHING. A review I read said that the reviewer could hear the saliva in a trumpet-players mouthpiece. I thought "damn, this is just hype". But it's true. I hear things that I've never heard in music/mixes before.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • Members

I was looking at almost the exact same list of options you made when I was looking to purchase a new pair of monitors for my studio. When I was ready to purchase I asked a friend of mine, who is a fairly well-known producer here in South Africa, which he would recommend. He has tried them all and owns the Genelecs and Yamaha's. He told me to seriously consider a pair of B&W 685's with a good amp. He had gotten himself a pair of B&W's after he thought the others, especially the Genelecs, were "a joke".

Bottom line: The B&W's are amazing. They are totally accurate in the bottom end, brutally true in the mids and the highs are not hyped at all. I can actually hear what the highs are *really* doing. My mixes are coming out beautifully with much less effort because I can hear EVERYTHING. A review I read said that the reviewer could hear the saliva in a trumpet-players mouthpiece. I thought "damn, this is just hype". But it's true. I hear things that I've never heard in music/mixes before.

This, B&W speakers are literally top of the line "Mastering" grade speakers, especially the Nautilus and 800 series, you'll hear things in your tracks that you didn't have a clue were even there.

Some people actually find them to be "too" revealing in a control room setting, but once you hear them you'll never look at another speaker the same way again.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

+1 for the A7s.

Not by comparison to the others, though. I just have them and know how good they are. I havent used the others.

-1 to mid range B&Ws. I have DM602 (series 2s) with a NAD C352, and while the sound is OK for reference because its not crap and I know it well, I wouldnt (and dont) trust it for mixing.

I dont know if the 685s are a lot better, but they would have to be to compete with the monitors you have there. If 800s are good enough for abbey road, however, they're good enough for anyone.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived