Critique my homemade album

• Members

So back in March I finished mixing (and semi-mastering with a limiter) a full length instrumental album. It sounded pretty good to me back then, and listening to it now, it still is, maybe a bit flat sounding overall due to lack of my mastering skills. I figure I'm probably biased, so it would be interesting to see what other recording/mixing enthusiasts have to say. Updated to add: I've finished writing/recording another batch of songs since then, I've included them here since it's been done with the same setup.

Here's the setup that I used:

Recorder: Zoom MRS8

Interface: ACID Pro 4.0

Guitars - Direct input Line 6 pod xt live into the MRS8

Bass - Direct input into MRS8

Drums - Various loops/track found online.

Here's a link to the Soundclick page with all the songs from both albums available to stream.

Here's a link to download the whole album (mediafire, 55Mb)

Here's a link to download the whole second album (mediafire, 82Mb)

I'd appreciate any input, most importantly looking for general areas of improvement(getting better/thicker guitar tone using DI, eq'ing the bass tracks, panning, etc.)

• Members

"Flat" in what way? Dynamics? "Dull" in terms of sonics? Lack of depth? Something else?

Dull would probably be the right way to describe it, I didn't want to mess with the eq on the final mixes, but maybe I should have.

• 2 months later...
  • Members

for me... and this may just be a matter of preference.... it's the arrangements that need work... they just don't hold my interest

I posted this more with getting some tips about the mixing process in mind, but I somewhat agree with your opinion about the arrangements. I think I've made progress over this last year, but It's definitely something I want to focus on next.

• Members

I posted this more with getting some tips about the mixing process in mind, but I somewhat agree with your opinion about the arrangements. I think I've made progress over this last year, but It's definitely something I want to focus on next.

i think the arrangements can be made more interesting by being creative when mixing... eg. dropping an instrument out for a few bars

i think of mixing as as much of a creative artform as playing an instrument

Archived