Best Cardioid Condenser Mics for <$100?

• Members

Pretty much what the title says.

Use is solely for recording acoustic 6-string and 12-string guitars.

Interested in small diaphram models for neck-joint placement, and in large diaphram models for lower body placement.

Thanks for any steers.

• Members

I just picked up a CAD M179 off eBay for $110+s/h so about $125 total and am thoroughly impressed. It sounds very natural and very smooth on the top end. It isn't dark by any means it just doesn't seem to have the top end push a lot of less expensive mics have. It also features variable pick up patterns. It has a knob to select patterns, with a center detent for cardioid, is omni all the way to one side, and figure 8 to the other. This allows you to dial in anything in between (wide cardioid, hyper cardioid, ect). Also features a -20dB pad and a HP filter. Both are useful, especially the pad, as this mic has plenty of output. Using it on toms through my Grace 101, I have to keep the gain at minimum to keep the pre from clipping. However the mic itself handles it fine. It just can overload the pre. It also sounded nice on my acoustic and allowed me to dial in however much, or little, room sound I wanted by adjusting the patterns and placement. There may be better mics, but for the price I don't think it can be beat. It may have replaced my 57 as my "island" mic.

Long story shorter I was impressed enough I found another guy selling 3 of them at $110 each. I bought them all. :)

• Members

I got the MXL 604, which is a small diaphram condensor and the MXL 4000 in a package deal for about $250 or so at Christmas to use for just the setup you describe. Have not had a chance to test it though, but I have used the 4000 on vocals. MF had that deal then but now the 4000 is $199 and the 604 is $99

• Members

Here's what I ended up getting, scheduled to arrive Wednesday along with cables and a boom stand with add-on extension for the second mic.

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Audio-Technica-AT2041SP-AT2020-and-AT2021-Microphone-Pack?sku=270455

Seems to have good reviews, and for the level I'm working at it seemed to fill the bill.

• Members

I too am a fan of the CAD mics. I have an E300-2 and a Trion 7000 mic. That Audio Technica pack is also very good for the money. Another inexpensive mic that I like a LOT is the Samson C02, although they sell by the pair, they're only $140.00 for two of them.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Nice price. Look into the mods, these things can be fixed up into some pro pieces.

I have a 219 that I think would really benefit from a mod because the body produces some nasty resonance, but the 012s and the 319s sound pretty good as they are, which makes it difficult to justify spending the money.

012's can be a bit on the noisy side sometimes though, and I keep meaning to send mine off to have them modified to see how they sound... I do like them on drum overheads and also on acoustic guitar - as long as it isn't a super soft player that requires a ton of preamp gain.

I really like the Groove Tubes / Sterling GT33's / ST33's a lot, as well as the tube equipped '44's. Also, Avant makes a similar mic to the 44 called the CV28 that sounds great on acoustic guitars. None of these are in the

• Members

I wonder if Mr. Joly would work out a bulk discount? :D

Actually, I bet he's so busy the last thing he needs is to incentivise people to send him another pile of microphones. Otherwise, I have about 5 Octavas that I'd like to have modded. God only knows how I accumulated so many of them as a home recording hobbyist. I doubt I paid anywhere near $100 for any of them though. :o

Archived