Mixed a song for a school project, etc

• Members

ayeh

recorded a song (with lots of headaches)

tell me everything that is wrong with it :lol:

i didn't know there was a harmony-central outside hcfx

anyway, the song.

etc:

drums were:

earthworks TC25's for overheads

SM57 on snare

AKG D112 on kick

guitar was:

SM7b close mic

Neuman u87 distant mic (in a whisper room iso booth)

into a Presonus ADL 600

all into a ProTools HD system (A/D converters, etc)

aside from the SM7b which was mine, and the SM57 which I also have, everything else was a dream to use. to go from that to my home recording setup is a joke, hah.

the song was mixed using Alesis M1 Active Mk2's, and AKG K240's. (most of the mixing was done on the AKG's.)

• Members

'Good' is kinda subjective :/

I wouldn't really call it a song, mind.

The reason I asked what you're going for is 'cause the guitar goes really really grungey at one point and it all sounds a bit garageband - if it's supposed to sound like that, I don't know.

But yeah, the snare's a bit distant and lacks definition.

Maybe reduce the level of the cymbals a tad - maybe a apply a touch of compression on them to even them out.

I like the filter effect on the guitar.

• Members

'Good' is kinda subjective :/

i know what you mean! i was asking for a subjective opinion.

I wouldn't really call it a song, mind.

it was thrown together very quick! i agree, it is a mess of things.

The reason I asked what you're going for is 'cause the guitar goes really really grungey at one point and it all sounds a bit garageband - if it's supposed to sound like that, I don't know.

the bit after the guitar filter sweeps? it's a whammy -1 oct, and it's supposed to sound a bit cheesy/messy.

But yeah, the snare's a bit distant and lacks definition.

yeah, i had trouble getting the snare to be up front, and had to use an exciter just to hear it through everything else.

Maybe reduce the level of the cymbals a tad - maybe a apply a touch of compression on them to even them out.

hmm, i compressed them quite a bit. maybe an EQ thing?

I like the filter effect on the guitar.

thanks!

thanks for giving it a listen, and for giving me the business :love:

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

I like the sound. I felt a bit of stoner/doom/grunge in it. I think the mix could have benefited from wide-panned stereo guitars and some bass guitar. I supposed that's more of a creative rather than technical suggestion. I'm thinking something along the lines of Goatsnake's "A Truckload of Mama's Muffins." Listen to it if you can. I think it is an excellent sample of the genre.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

thanks for giving it a listen, and for giving me the business
:love:

As far as the snare goes, are you sure it's in phase? You probably shouldn't have to use an exciter to have it be heard. It seems that you're getting all that cymbal nastiness from your snare mic. Subtle (6dB/oct) bandpass filters can help tame that. Also, you could always experiment with different applications of reverb to the drum kit - sometimes just an aux send to a plate on the snare is all you need for the whole kit to bloom.

The guitars could benefit from a little more tightening up - though I do dig the tones you're capturing. Try focusing more on finding a spot in the stereo field that makes sense and fits with the instrumentation. L-C-R panning is a good way to start.

Btw, cheers from another music production student :thu: Where do you study?

• Members

As far as the snare goes, are you sure it's in phase? You probably shouldn't have to use an exciter to have it be heard. It seems that you're getting all that cymbal nastiness from your snare mic. Subtle (6dB/oct) bandpass filters can help tame that. Also, you could always experiment with different applications of reverb to the drum kit - sometimes just an aux send to a plate on the snare is all you need for the whole kit to bloom.

The guitars could benefit from a little more tightening up - though I do dig the tones you're capturing. Try focusing more on finding a spot in the stereo field that makes sense and fits with the instrumentation. L-C-R panning is a good way to start.

Btw, cheers from another music production student
:thu:
Where do you study?

the snare was actually triggered. i did my best to line up the waveforms in all the tracks, but i probably should've bounced the midi files afterwards to line them up.

i really like the reverb suggestion though! that sounds like a great idea.

i was trying to go "huge" with the guitars, and had the bass heavy mic/track centered, with the brighter track ADT'd wide. my haste/quick-results attempt probably added to the lack of focus for the guitars.

right now i'm studying in community college, and next year i transfer to SUNY at buffalo for my music theory/composition studying :thu:

where are you studying?

• Members

the snare was actually triggered. i did my best to line up the waveforms in all the tracks, but i probably should've bounced the midi files afterwards to line them up.

i really like the reverb suggestion though! that sounds like a great idea.

i was trying to go "huge" with the guitars, and had the bass heavy mic/track centered, with the brighter track ADT'd wide. my haste/quick-results attempt probably added to the lack of focus for the guitars.

right now i'm studying in community college, and next year i transfer to SUNY at buffalo for my music theory/composition studying
:thu:
where are you studying?

Ah, word. That makes sense with the snare. Every session's a learning experience, ain't it the truth? I'm studying music production and comp at the University of Michigan in the Performing Arts Technology department.

Archived